Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircoms new high speed technology

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

that is the funniest thing ive seen ina good while.
    A 56k modem dialed up and ready to use in under 10 seconds :p
    It also managed to connect at 56k :p

has any one ever connected at 56k? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

52666k is my personal best. i do try.
    and a 56k conn can be set up to up and running in about 10 seconds. using fast dial and fast negotiation init strings.

is this the thing where eircom says 56kilobit modems download at 56kilobytes a second ? useless twats. in fact, it's proboably a cruel joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I was assured by someone from Eircom that they would fix it.
    But its still the same.
    I didn't bother following up with them furthur.
    The capital K is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

The "can you handle the speed" line is very funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by B-K-DzR

has any one ever connected at 56k? :)

I belive 53.000 is the absolute limit for a 56k modem the phone line using dial up wont go any faster. They only called it 56k because that was twice 28k.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Heh, I managed 56k connection before... hell I managed 58k once :]

Funniest thing is when it says 'i-Stream offers near DVD quality' and then a very shabby looking eircom logo comes on screen :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i can connect at 56k even 112k but its just by using special initstrings and always disconnects ...LOL
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

the fact on high speed its slower to connect at 128k and yet it appears to be faster in that thing says a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mike65
    [B
    I belive 53.000 is the absolute limit for a 56k modem the phone line using dial up wont go any faster. They only called it 56k because that was twice 28k.[/B]

Not exactly. In the US, you'll never achieve higher than about 52k because FCC regulations reserve a few k - it's done at the ISP end, not at the user's end. Not sure what the position is here - I suspect there's no equivalent restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

56k is only attainable in Lab conditions, it using CAT5+ twisted pair over a distance of a few metres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement