Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE confirm NI and UK launch soon.....

• 29-04-2002 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I received this e-mail today. I have no reason to doubt it's authenticity . I have tried to contact RTE but got an auto response. Anyone heard anything similar ??

Original Message

Subject: Sattellite Inquiry

>>
    >>
    > Subject: RTE response
    > From: "Majella O'Doherty" <odohema@rte.ie>
    >
    >>
    > Thank you for your recent email to RTE.
    >
    > As you may be aware, RTE plans to have its services carried on the Sky
    > platform from 23 April. Initially our TV channels will be available in
    > the Republic of Ireland only; at a later date they will also be
    > available in Northern Ireland. However, our four radio channels will be
    > available throughout the Sky footprint from 23 April.
    >
    > RTE is committed to ensuring alternative access to our TV programmes
    > for viewers in Britain - at an affordable cost and as soon as possible.
    > We cannot say when this will happen but I would like to assure you that
    > information will be made available at the earliest possible date.
    >
    > Thank you for your understanding.
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Majella O Doherty
    > Public Relations Co-ordinator
    > RT Communications
    >

Comments

This is the same line being spun by RTÉ since the Tara closedown.
    however I have more faith in the e-mails of RTÉ spokespersons than other organisations.
    I would guess that there are a list of priorities in Donnybrook and they'll get to the "service in the U.K" one eventually.
    Don't hold your breath though as for some strange reason if they do improve their finances , an RTÉ news 24 might find its way ahead of a service to GB on the ladder first:rolleyes:
    I would also think it unlikely that if RTÉ have to let people go, to improve their budget that they would get away with spending the saving on GB.
    The unions would revolt.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fred Flange

Thanks for that one Satman.

It ties in with the link that MM gave me over the weekend.

I will certainly be Emailing this lady to tell her how much we want the service, and I hope all other interested parties will do the same.

Regards

Fred F.

How about another thread 'Campaign for RTE in GB'

or will that be another Lead Balloon ;~}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Ive written to RTE complaining about the possibilty of these channels being available too northern Ireland and uk, I pay a TV licence and now am expected too fund Mr Murdock too receive RTE in Digital format, so my licence fee will be used too subsidise a resident outside the State too view. Sky Digital will kill any other possible Digital formats coming too this country by their usual double dealing , blackmail etc. oooh I hate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭gusto

I think its a disgrace that you would seek to deny Nothern Irish viewers the chance to get the RTE channels. Most viewers in the north can access it via a terestrial ariel. However, those of us who live near mountains etc cannot receive the signal. So my only chance of watching live hurling etc is via RTE on Sky.

Wise up mate.

You don't hear me kicking up a fuss about BBC or UTV.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭gusto

I hope you put your letter to RTE through a spelling and grammer check before you sent it.

We must be second class Irish citizens up here in the North:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Remind me where people resident in Northern Ireland's TV Licence Fee goes too, RTE or BBC. When BBC was installed on SKY Digital I was informed by them the next rise in my subscription was partly due too this. I have no problem with anyone receiving RTE on SKY, just why should I pay twice for it and effectively subsidise them too do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by Mark_irl
    Remind me where people resident in Northern Ireland's TV Licence Fee goes too, RTE or BBC. When BBC was installed on SKY Digital I was informed by them the next rise in my subscription was partly due too this. I have no problem with anyone receiving RTE on SKY, just why should I pay twice for it and effectively subsidise them too do so.

Too many "o"s in "to" (in this context).

Sorry but it's driving me mad.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Remind me where people resident in Northern Ireland's TV Licence Fee goes too, RTE or BBC. When BBC was installed on SKY Digital I was informed by them the next rise in my subscription was partly due too this. I have no problem with anyone receiving RTE on SKY, just why should I pay twice for it and effectively subsidise them to do so.

Perhaps you might consider the extra advertising revenue that RTE would receive if this were to pass.

my two cents

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Straining........at........leash.........

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, despite paying a TV license, I don't begrude NI or indeed GB from having RTE channels. Ideally, we could have all NI channels and NI have all ours. Seems fair deal to me if it comes to pass.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

Go on Damo, play that card!

You know you want to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Satman, although the e-mail sounds promising, I think the title of the thread is misleading. "RTE confirm NI and UK launch" Sorry, mate, I read the e-mail 3 times through, and to me, "confirm launch" means a confirmed date, and nowhere is a confirmed date mentioned. Sorry to dent your enthusiasm, but at least it wasn't anything TOO important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Satman

donnae moi une fracture

Advertisement