Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an new ISP - Help me now!

• 29-05-2001 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Right - like others I'm being kicked off IOL NoLimits or whatever they call it now. I'm looking for a new ISP.

Eircom and IOL Gold seem to provide the exact same thing for pretty much the same price. But I noticed IOL have a minimum charge of 11.5p for all calls do eircom have this?

Any other hints, words of advice etc. would be appreciated

I'm the Dude

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Indigo and Eircom.net are just as bad. Oceanfree are owned by Esat. I'd recommend going for UTV Internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    Indigo and Eircom.net are just as bad. Oceanfree are owned by Esat. I'd recommend going for UTV Internet.</font>

ok, so who owns who??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

UTV internet is only dublin right? any solutions for us poor folks out here in the styx would be ....welcome

Shrewgar!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

"ok, so who owns who??"

Huh?

Eircom owns Eircom Net and Indigo.

Esat owns IOL and Oceanfree.

The Independent Group owns Unison.

UTV owns UTV Internet (formerly DNA).

Buy and Sell owns BuyandSell.net.

There's a few smaller ones too. They all have their ups and downs, I tend to use a mixture.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

UTV is nationwide AFAIK, hell even I can get it here in sunny monaghan smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ocean free 1p per min = best isp for ping .. 4 me any ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭[-FI-]Barra

whats da sca on utv ,,price,,time allowed online????

[-FI-]Barra = [-OS-]Barra
    [-OS-]Outcast Soldiers
    www.clan-os.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Just remember - oceanfree and iol may be owned by esat but they are still run on their own seperate networks, so each will have different connection quality, latency etc.. Same goes for eircom and indigo as far as i know.

Best thing to do is try out all of their free packages(pay just for the call thingies) and see which gives best pings to where, at the time youd be most using them.

I have a DUN connection to all of these in case one gets bad some night i can change easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

since when is monaghan sunny? smile.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Just thought I'd sa a word
    UTV internet is crap for playing games online,

I've heard unison are excellant overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

UTV is pretty good for me.

Great pings + great d/l speeds. Same for Oceanfree.

You've forgotten NTL btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Belisarius:
    UTV internet is only dublin right?
    </font>

Wrong. They're all over the island of Ireland and provide a 1890 (NOT 1891) dialin in the republic. I've found the connection speed to be quite good, but it's not surprising seeing as they're DNA reincarnated.

As regards who owns who, - the Indigo brand is no more as their company has been schlurped into Eircom.net, as owned by Eircom - which is currently being bid for. Esat own IOL and Oceanfree. BT owns Esat. Microsoft own a huge chunk of ntl. The rest are pretty much those that dahamsta said already.

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I still connect to indigo.Is this my comp playing illusions? will it not chnage til i change the name? Will any of my account details have altered do u think? It still acts like my old Indigo dial in. conns @ 33600 during peak usually and @49333 off peak :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You're not imagining things, indigo is still working, they're just not marketing it any more. Some tinet.ie addresses still work, so there's no rush... smile.gif

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    They're all over the island of Ireland and provide a 1890 (NOT 1891) dialin in the republic.
    </font>

What's the prices of 1890 -v- 1891 ?

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

don't worry about the restructuring with indigo/eircomnet
    Indigo is not going to be actively marketed as a brand anymore-new customers can still sign up ver the web etc if they want to etc
    My reading of it is that the whole marketing of the brand is going to be more closely tied to the fixed line business ie eircom the phone company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Aaah - nobody answered my question:

Do eircom have a minimum call charge too?

I'm the Dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

i use ELive, there's a link ti tehm on the bayridge site www.bayridge.ie
    Never engaged.
    How do I get teh numbers for the free ISPs NTL and Unison? They don't seem to ahve thm. I need teh 091 numbers too. Or are tehy just inside Dublin? (more pale-scaping)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Elmolove

1890 number = local call charge
    1891 number = 11.5p for 7.5 mins during day & 11.5p for 15 mins during the evening.
    These are fixed diallups so the price is the same regardless of who you use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement