Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat unbuldle Local loop in limerick

Options
  • 29-04-2002 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

See here for press release.

Thery are going offering €270 per quarter for a 512k/256k line. No mention of a cap in the Press release.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

No mention of VAT. I presume it excludes it. Nice to see a 2MB/256k option, but the price...ouch! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I reckon it might include vat...otherwise it will be much dearer than eircoms instead of being the same

As it's Esat Business, I'd be surprised, Keeks. Most business ads are exclusive of VAT. That said, no cap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Its excluding vat. Add on vat you get 326.7 euro, eircoms offer is 321euro for the same period. Five euro mroe for double the upstream bandwidth and (ive it on good authority) no caps doesnt seem bad. They actually will be releasing it in dublin, so im told. But not on every exchange, something like 8 only but they are both sides of the city

Originally posted by Boston
    They actually will be releasing it in dublin, so im told. But not on every exchange, something like 8 only but they are both sides of the city

You don't happen to know if Summerhill is on that list, Boston?

• Advertisement

For that price (with or without vat) its a great starting price if there are no caps involved. You'd be paying that much in telephone bills anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Boston
    They actually will be releasing it in dublin, so im told. But not on every exchange, something like 8 only but they are both sides of the city

i thought the only exchanges unbundled were outside dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

Download speeds up to ten times faster than a standard dial up connection. Quarterly subscription rental of €270 with a once off connection fee of €125.64.

does it mean the following that is €90 per month?

correct me if i am wrong.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

yeh, prolly sign a 1 year min contract though, so if u leave the addres, u cnt bring ti with you, u have to carry on payin it:/ unless they do a more expensive, 1 month contract liek they do here

Originally posted by Dustaz

Correct, they have requested access to 8 exchanges, more then that, i dont know.

Mountjoy Mugger, I asked the same question, apparently our exchange is to small. North main apparently is your best bet.

No thats excluding VAT.
    prolly sign a 1 year min contract though

Sounds to be as if they are doign a 3 month contract.

Im sure dahamsta will be along sortly to tell us exactly what the situation is, he seems to have inside sources at the odtr

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This is correct, and the rest of the exchanges on Esat's unbundling plan are also outside of Dublin. The plan was partly (40-60%) supported by a fund for rural development, Esat would not have received any support for exchanges within Dublin. It's possible that Esat may buy wholesale from Eircom at some time in the future, but there don't appear to be any plans for this as yet.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta

This is correct, and the rest of the exchanges on Esat's unbundling plan are also outside of Dublin. The plan was partly (40-60%) supported by a fund for rural development, Esat would not have received any support for exchanges within Dublin. It's possible that Esat may buy wholesale from Eircom at some time in the future, but there don't appear to be any plans for this as yet.

adam

No what i heard, the number 8 and north main was strongly mentioned to me.
    Esat would not have received any support for exchanges within Dublin.

might not need it for dublin

BTW i hope this information goes up on the site. this is still great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by JamworkS
    By the looks of it, yes. EUR 90 + VAT @ 21% = 108.90 to the home user. Still extremely expensive but beats Eircom hands down if there's no cap. I've read that 128kb/s is insufficient upstream for some games, so the greater 256kb/s might appeal to the hard-core gamers. The price will need to come down, of course, but this should happen now that there's a bit of competition in the market. I enquired about my own exchange in Dublin (Terenure) and was told that this should be upgraded in August, but it's the West of Ireland first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I've read that 128kb/s is insufficient upstream for some games, so the greater 256kb/s might appeal to the hard-core gamers.

nah, 128 up is fine for games, if any game required more than that the developer would be alienating the 56l/isdn user and that still aint an option.

the 256 would be nice for uploading tho. Ive found the 128 that you get with eircom to be annoyingly slow when your uploading compared to the download speeds.

Ive noticed that when im uploading at my max, my downloading seems impaired for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Boston, dahamasta,
    Can you tell me what the roll put plan for Limerick exchanges will be ?
    Im interested in Castletroy exchange especially.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i bow down to the boards gods once again...thanks lads!

rang them today and she is currently doing a site survey to see if my address is in the vicinity of the exchange.

ill let you know how i get on, she said she would be back to me tomorrow.

Overlord, i live round the corner from you, so watch this space, you may be in luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Can someone tell me why you need the Castletroy exchange to be upgraded. Can you not get a copper-pair connection direct to Roches St. and get DSL from their. As long as the distance is less than 15km, and there's fibre connectivity between both switches anyway

Because as much as you try, eircom will connect you to what ever exchange they bloody well like. Pisses me off a great deal, i should be on north main

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The ENN article on this topic sounds almost like Esat were being truthful and straight with people. Very odd. Well done Esat. :)

Overlord, I'm afraid not, I don't have detailed information. Esat employees are very respectful of their NDA's. Those that aren't don't know anything.

adam

• Advertisement

From above article
    "The truth is, these prices are a little high for most residential consumers, so for now we are targeting the small to medium sized businesses," explained Peter Evans, product director at Esat. "We fully expect the prices to go down however over the next few months as costs decrease in making it available."

Evans said that the company hopes to make a price cut in the service before the end of the year

Sound promising...but still no metion of caps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Intresting note at the end of that article..
    Evans told ElectricNews.Net that Esat hopes to launch a new flat-rate product by the end of the year using the FRIACO (flat-rate internet access call origination) model, but doing so will depend on the cooperation of Eircom and the ODTR.

Advertisement