Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smart Car

Options
  • 29-04-2002 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm trying to find anyone who sells or supports/services the new SMART CAR from Mercedes in Ireland. I know it's available in the UK, but I don't think its officially available here in Ireland until next year...

... yet I'm seeing some smart cars on the road already around town. Anyone know who is selling these? Thanks in advance.

c0y0te

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Its not strictly Mercededs-Benz but MCC, and im pretty sure it should be available here, its just not in particularly high demand so not many dealers would be willing to make unnecessary purchases, but are usually obliged to order one if required.

Ive seen one or two secondhand LHD models (the first ones available in UK/Ireland, RHD only came in last year) for sale in various magazines recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

MCC?

Who / what are MCC please?

Also - I've talked to the Mercedes distributors and they say they will be bringing them in officially in 2004 (for some reason), but I know that RHD versions are available NOW in the UK. I've also heard that someone in Dublin is currently flogging SMART CARS and supporting/servicing them... so I'm trying to track them down.

If anyone out there has any suggestions or info - please post it. Thanks

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Holy god what an ugly car. Why would you possibly want one of them?In my own opinion Smart cars should be incinerated along with unionists, tinned tuna and corduroys:)

I'm not looking for the car for myself.. in fact, I doubt if I could even fit into one. I'm tall enough that if I lay down beside one on the road I'll probably be longer than it :)

However my wife has fallen in love with them ... and wants to get one here for city driving. So - anyone got useful info, connections or phone numbers where I can get one of these cars in Dublin.. or Ireland for that matter???

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Are you buying the car for your wife or are you just trying to help her out?

• Advertisement

What difference does it make?

All I'm looking for here is information on anyone in Ireland who is selling or servicing these cars.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

they are been offically released this year,not sure when

Im sure the main merc dealers will be stockin thembest thing to do visit ure local merc dealer and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by c0y0te
    ... yet I'm seeing some smart cars on the road already around town. Anyone know who is selling these? Thanks in advance.

AFAIK, they're being purchased from dealerships in Britain and brought over here - there is no-one selling them new in Ireland.

As for people who think the car is horrible.....you might change your mind after driving one. Good handling, and ridiculous acceleration.

Add in a tiptronic gearbox (available), leather seats (available), and maybe remove the roof for a Cabriolet model (available) and its a lovely drivers car.

Of course, if performance, mileage and all that arent your thing, then by all means - judge the car on nothing but its lines. I wont mind :)

SMART are becoming ubiquitous over here. Car Parks even have dedicated (cheaper) SMART parking spaces.

Coyote - your best bet is to either contact smart themselves for info (www.smart.com), to check with some big english dealers to see if they can supply you with one, or wait.

jc

Thanks for the info....

I'd already contacted SMART.COM (UK) and talked to the Mercedes Distributors here in Ireland.. but my sources are telling me that someone is actually / currently flogging these cars here in Dublin. I just need to find out who so I can see what sort of options / deals are available.. ahead of the *official launch* of the car sometime in 2003/2004.

c0y0te

Advertisement