Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number plate question

Options
  • 29-04-2002 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

When an Irishman moves house, does he have to change his number plate?

e.g. 99-CE-466 becomes 99-D-10219

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

emm.. nope... dunno who told you that one..

is this a wind up..??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

no comment needed on this one... the number plate is from where you buy the car.. as in you buy a car in Dublin but live in Kildare you get a Dublin number plate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Pray to god that no one from the revenue reads this, or it'll be introduced by the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Yes you do have to reregister your car , and you also have to wear a bright yellow t-shirt and have one hand sticking out the window so that we can tell your not from Dublin !

* Damn this sarcasim device does work ....SPLENDID !!! *

Hey Darth i want one of them sarcasim device thingies...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭helen_br

No, not a wind-up - just was interested to know. In France & Germany I believe you do have to change number plate if you move your locality whereas in UK you don't.

So on a related note, how come I once saw a van with a number plate like 74-CE-551 when the "new" number plate system wasn't invented in 1974? I assumed until now that he had simply moved to Co. Clare at a later stage but was obviously wrong.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by helen_br
    No, not a wind-up - just was interested to know. In France & Germany I believe you do have to change number plate if you move your locality whereas in UK you don't.

So on a related note, how come I once saw a van with a number plate like 74-CE-551 when the "new" number plate system wasn't invented in 1974? I assumed until now that he had simply moved to Co. Clare at a later stage but was obviously wrong.

Cheers.

There could be loadsa reasons for it. I saw a car once regged 24-D-XXXX. :D

Basically what's happened there, is someone has brought a car in from another country, and if the car (or the person - not sure which) spends a certain amount of time here, the car must be registered here, and so they get a numberplate for whatever year the car was first registered in it's own country......

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

If you really wanted an EU style plate you could re-register your vehicle and get a year plate, but no one was forcing you.

The other scenario is that the vehicle was imported into the country after the new plates were introduced and therefore was automatically given a 74-CE plate when first registered in the country.

Ah right, that makes sense. I think in Britain they give you a number plate with a Q at the beginning instead of one of the standard year letters to represent "indeterminate date".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Saruman
    no comment needed on this one... the number plate is from where you buy the car.. as in you buy a car in Dublin but live in Kildare you get a Dublin number plate!

That's incorrect.

The county on the number plate goes by the county where you live when you register the vehicle, not where you buy the vehicle.
    For example: if I buy a new car in Cork and I live in Dublin the car will have a reg. number starting 02 D because the registered address of the vehicle is Dublin.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Samson

That's incorrect.

The county on the number plate goes by the county where you live when you register the vehicle, not where you buy the vehicle.

Aha! That explains another mystery I was thinking of asking about - in Ireland the vast majority of the cars you see driving around any given county have a reg. plate from that county, whereas in the UK most have an area code different from the current locality, especially for fleet cars / factory direct cars which will have the locality of the main factory on their number plates, e.g. Dagenham for Ford, Coventry for Peugeot etc.

Nice one Samson.. i always thought it went by the place you buy it from as thats where it was imported to! I thought that because when i bought my new car it was being taken from the import yard to the dealer and while i was waiting i was given my reg number so i figured they were the ones who register it and use the county purchased in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by Samson

That's incorrect.

For example: if I buy a new car in Cork and I live in Dublin the car will have a reg. number starting 02 D because the registered address of the vehicle is Dublin.

Its depends on which of the 32 regional registration offices you send it to. Your address dosen't matter. It is usually is where you buy the car as the garage usually takes care of registering the vechile for you. Here is a list of the offices.

Its all got to do with the VRT.

hmm maybe i was right after all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

No no , it all depends on where live when you register the car. Just happens that the dealer usually looks after it and not you personally.

It cant be where you bought the car .... Alot of people buy cars in Europe and dont have european reg plates.

I know we all have european reg plates technically so no one try to be smart ??? Im watching you !!

Originally posted by Keeks

Its depends on which of the 32 regional registration offices you send it to. Your address dosen't matter. It is usually is where you buy the car as the garage usually takes care of registering the vechile for you. Here is a list of the offices.

Its all got to do with the VRT.

No.
    Situation is as per my original post.
    Whilst the garage looks after the vehicle registration, they do so on your behalf

ok anyone know a dealer? They must know..
    Besides i think the original post of this thread was answered.. i dont really care about who registers what.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Darth Homer
    No no , it all depends on where live when you register the car. Just happens that the dealer usually looks after it and not you personally.

It cant be where you bought the car .... Alot of people buy cars in Europe and dont have european reg plates.

I know we all have european reg plates technically so no one try to be smart ??? Im watching you !!

Anyone who buys a car in Europe and brings it back here (permanently) must get an Irish reg. You know the yellow sheet of paper that says who owns the car? That's the one that matters. It gets its reg from the county of the first person who gets that sheet. Some car dealers pre-register the cars in their name, hence a brand new car could have a different county on it(and technically the car is second had when you buy it). Other dealers phone in your details, so your car gets regged in your county.

You can probably get your car re-regged in your own county, but maybe you'll have to pay your VRT all over again (which is €2 for every cc of your engine - very expensive)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

It depends on what Registration office takes care of it. I've seen ppl with address in Kidare get brand new cars and get Dublin plates. I've seen cork ppl get Kerry plates and vice versa. It dependa on which reg office you send it to. Not the your address. I will check this though....Just in case i might be wrong.

The number chosen must be one in the normal format and must correspond with the place (licensing authority area) where the applicant normally resides and the year in which the vehicle is to be first brought into use, e.g. 01-D-2 may only be reserved by an applicant living in Dublin for a vehicle intended to be first brought into use in the year 2001.

Now, that should wrap it up.
    Taken from:
    http://www.revenue.ie/services/vrt/vrt5.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    You can probably get your car re-regged in your own county, but maybe you'll have to pay your VRT all over again (which is €2 for every cc of your engine - very expensive)
    No, VRT is only payable once on any given vehicle.

Companies are meant to register the vehicle in the county where the company has it's head office (hence Bord Gáis vehicles have Cork addresses).

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

But if you buy the car secondhand the registration stays the same?

Originally posted by Winning Hand
    But if you buy the car secondhand the registration stays the same?

yes

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Keeks no it doesnt depend on what office you send the docs to-if you have a dublin address you WILL have dublin plates even if you send the docs to a cork office- BTW these local offices dont handle vehicle registrations anyway.The reason people who live in say kildare and have Dublin plates is 1.They either moved house AFTER buying the vehicle or else they registered it at a Dublin address so that they dont have to travel to some tiny town to tax their car(like me).I know this because I work in a main dealer.The main Vehicle registration office is in Co clare and all vehicle registration go through this office by fax/email.There is a form which is filled in with the registered owners address and the plate number is sent out according to the address on the form.
    There is no exception to this rule-if you put a Dublin address on the form the vehicle in question will have Dublin plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭simon_partridge

Originally posted by seamus
    Eh? That's a ludicrous amount of money - do you mean that if I go out and buy a new 2 litre car I have to pay €4000 on top of the price of the car on this VRT jobby?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What's the story with Waterford-registered cars? I've seen some with XX-WD-1234 and others with XX-W-1234, both saying port lairge. What's the deal with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Irish vehicle registration letters have always been allocated according to the appropriate Electoral area, hence -

Waterford County = WD
    Waterford City = W

In answer to an earlier post regarding a vehicle spotted with a 74-CE reg. All vehicles imported (and registered) in Ireland after 1987 are issued with a registration number corresponding to the year of first registration in their country of origin (or the year of manufacture of the vehicle if it was never registered before).

Therefore, a vehicle first registered in 1974 in the UK, for example, would be issued with a 74-CE reg (or KE,or D, etc. according to the owners address) when it is first registered here.

Silvera.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

erm, Can anyone give me a full list of the county-by-county codes for reg plates???

Also, can G, GY, W, WD, D, DC, L, LK, be clarified for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Danno wrote:
    erm, Can anyone give me a full list of the county-by-county codes for reg plates???

Also, can G, GY, W, WD, D, DC, L, LK, be clarified for me?

GY , DC ?????????? can someone close this one before it gets completely out of control?
    What's that you say ? Too Late ? ;)

By the way, a car is registered at the address of the first owner, that's how they decide what letter/s you get. Simple. Like a few of the contributors to this thread ... ooops .... eh .... did I say that out loud ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

helen_br wrote:

Cheers.
    of course you have to change your nu plate in the uk fool,i know from experience

Advertisement