Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL radio ads

• 29-04-2002 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody heard the ads on radio for NTL digital?

It states that this is the only system that allows you watch digital on one television and regular (i.e. analogue) on the other. Do they mean that you get regular NTL with the digital subscription? Or are they lying a bit to spread FUD against the onslaught of Sky?

I know I can watch Sky digital one one TV and whatever I like on another (i.e. analogue via an ariel)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

They're fudging the issue slightly.

At the moment if you subscribe to NTL Digital, you also continue to recieve the basic analogue service, which can be viewed on other TVs.

However I did read at the weekend that they plan to have the analogue service closed by 2008, so what happens then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Then we're f:eek:cked Charles!
    Or at least as far as Taping one channel while watching another is concerned...can anyone tell me why this is the case?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

I was told last summer, that by September of last year, we would all have gotten a free digital box and that the analogue service would be switched off this year.

You can never believe a word out of those CS people..
    Anyways, I presume eventually they will give One free digital box for each official connection in each house with only the existing basic channels switched on (BBC1,2,UTV,C4,RTE,Nick,MTV etc).

That means that all those houses with DIY connections will have to cough up for the extra point rental once analogue is switched off!!

Originally posted by David C
    That means that all those houses with DIY connections will have to cough up for the extra point rental once analogue is switched off!!
    you would think that that alone would spur NTL on to encouraging digital.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

From the always informative Sunday Business Post (let's hopeit stays that way under "The Examiner" ownership) -

http://www.sbpost.ie/story.jsp?list=businesspost&rightnav=/common/navs/right/sponsorsnav.jsp&advert=/common/adverts/top/homepage.htm&title=Sunday+Paper&story=WCContent;id-44512

"........The financially troubled communications giant NTL suffered badly in recent months, but with 80 per cent of its network digitally enabled, it is ready to push on to the next phase. But the consumer take-up of only 18,000 customers for the 57-channel digital service is a poor return.

NTL has targeted a further 25,000 households for widened digital distribution in the short term, and plans to introduce a trial run interactive service later this year.

Anna-Marie Barry, spokesperson for NTL, remains bullish about the company's future. "Locally, it is business as usual and we are aiming at a 2008 date for the turn off of analogue services," she said.

The NTL GoDigital pack costs €12.81 per month......"

Obviously the "turn off of analogue services" will have very serious repercussions on NTL's current claims that you'll be able to receive all your regular analogue channels and watch them in as many rooms as you want - not after 2008, you won't !!

If they're so sure about this happening, they should make it common knowledge to all of their customers (who will suffer because of it), instead of quietly trying to impress the business people through the pages on the Sunday Business Post.

• Advertisement

I notice Sky digital are advertising on Radio fairly heavily at the moment-this must be in response to the NTL campaign.
    mm

Advertisement