Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading

• 02-06-2001 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I am going to a certain internet cafe tonight for some games and maybe some downloading. i was wondering how i download stuff off the net at a fairly low speed that will not affect the pings much, because it always ****es me off when people start downloading on the network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Unless the cafe has a 512k line, or perhaps an intelligent router which gives equal priority to games and surfing, or caps bandwidth, which I haven't seen implemented, you will not be able to download without screwing everyones pings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Use a download manager and cap the speed.
    smile.gif

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

thats a fair point, but unless you cap it at a tiny rate like 2 or 3k, a cafe with a 256k line will give bad pings to the rest of the people there who are playing games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

If your paying for use of the netcafe for its purpose (i.e. using the net/downloading/games) then go ahead and download whatever you like, unless every other person in the cafe is playing games, then its not a good idea as nerds sometimes carry shotguns smile.gif

Advertisement