Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL's new web site live.

Options
  • 29-04-2002 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

http://www.irelandoffline.org

Rather than delay any further, our new web site is live. Comments and criticisms are welcome. You can help in its evolvement and refinement over time.

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

w00t!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

About time too, :p . Looks well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

since dsl is about to be released surely u could have put in a bit of flash :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Pimp
    since dsl is about to be released surely u could have put in a bit of flash :p

And alienate all the 56k users (who are likely to be in a majority in the organisation even in 12 months)?

Content is king imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I like the site, its nice compact, easy to follow, less shiney muck to distract you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Nice and clear desig

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

nice new site....simple and easy to use... Although..few more colours may have been nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

Originally posted by sceptre

And alienate all the 56k users (who are likely to be in a majority in the organisation even in 12 months)?

Content is king imho

it was a joke...........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Pimp
    it was a joke...........

:D
    (slaps self on wrist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Tiny little point. "There is no affordable broadband in Ireland" - not quite true. There are some small pockets of affordable broadband cable. We should probably be holding these up more often with an "If they can do it for 35 euro why can't you" rant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭leoc

It appears to be missing any link to this forum again.

Overall it looks fine and promising, but I suspect that that Slashdot/weblog look will be a bit offputting to the decision-makers and opinion-formers you want the site to impress and inform. For one thing, I get the impression that those sidebar boxes are the kind of thing that computer-phobes mentally edit out, and, at least under Mozilla, the text in the box bodies is of a size that's unfriendly to middle-aged people with reading glasses. By contrast, CUT's website has a sidebar with a more big-and-friendly look, and the main page has a big "About CUT" section where a number of links are given along with short, clear explanatory blurbs.

Please don't take this as a put-down! It's a good site, I just think that it would have a better impact with some presentational tweaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Was that made with PHPNuke?

Looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Geeklog was what was used. Keep the comments coming, we will obviously be making changes as we go!
    It appears to be missing any link to this forum again.

This is no mistake ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Geeklog.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Curved looking category backgrounds would look better.
    Someone with some experience using Photoshop would probably be able to make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

nice.

and IMHO, you don't want anything flashy, or curvy :)

good work guys.

Tim

edit - are we all free to submit stories etc? Are they moderated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

ooo its all pretty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

This launch of the "NEW" Ireland OFFlines own website. Is very newsworthy.

Has a media release been issued?...

Keep the issues in the public eye, especially at this time of an election.

Give Joe Public a few hints about the high internet charges and what he/she should be asking canvassing politicians?....

The new webpage looks excellent and congratulations too all who worked putting it together.

I wish it and Ireland OFFlines campaign every success now and for as long as it is needed.

Paddy20.:)

Would it be worth having a "today in the press" section?

(seperate to the News section, which would only include major things)

Also, every second day here there's a post about dsl in some far off land for some brilliant price, should there be a place on the site too for adding this kind of info?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

sweet site, im all signed up and ready to comment :)

can you put html in your signature?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

I have just spent the last 2 hours reading up on everything trying to familiarise myself with all the things that are going on in here. It was my first time to visit the IOFFL website because I did not know it existed until now. I am really impressed at the way it is laid out first of all and I am also delighted to see that the IOFFL Site is VERY user friendly and informative. Congrats to ye all and I wish you Continues success.

Continued...sorry for typo.

Just wondering is an email is going out to all on the mail list about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by timod
    Just wondering is an email is going out to all on the mail list about it...
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

The geeklog engine aint bad at all, some good coding but it lacks design. The engine overall is good but i think ye could hack away a few extra colours or style sheets to add to it :)

Not downing it at all though, its pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

where's the IOWIKI F.A.Q. gone to?

Are ye gonna spruce it up with a bit of colour? (and not just the plain greys)

Any chance of the "skins" for the site, as discussed before ?

*ahem*

*bump*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

We are meeting tonight about the site. After last week, we had a little break! It is very much ( as I said before) evolving, we wanted to have it in place for the NDM Conference. It stills needs radical work!

Okay, grand... is the IOWIKI FAQ still available somewhere?

• Advertisement

I think the IOFFL new site it totally great for everyone and this IOWIKI FAQ thing is a bit too advanced for some (ok not all) people here. Personally i find no need for it but thats just my opinion.

Advertisement