Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nokia phones can ...

• 31-05-2001 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

nokia phones can track garda speed traps!!

just set the clossed user group to "00000" and when you are near a trap it will go click clack with the speakers and it will still work like normal.

snaz !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

L O L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

zeemoud once again proves his dodgyness smile.gif

*cough*
    daves l33t site 0wns j00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

pointless and unreliable.
    surely only gonna happen when your in very close range (we're talking visible) and by that stage your caught regardless.
    nothing better than common sense imo (ive only realised that recently after my second 50 fine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

No this is all true i saw it on a website!

And if you put 34300 in when you're watching the footie on TV your team will score a goal!

Try 55332 tonight in the pub and just watch that chick you always fancied start chatting *you* up!

Amazing things these Nokia phones..... (cough)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Yeah, it's rubbish. Came up at work a month or so ago. Looked around - the feature supposed to be a "radar detector" is nothing of the sort. It's for something like closed dialing groups...

Lot of Fox "I want to believe" Mulders out there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Nope, the phone *was* able to detect police radar. However, shortly after this was discovered Nokia sent the frequency codes to the police and the problem was solved.

Didn't have any effect in the US as their phones are different (or their radar is, whichever).

So in short, it used to work now it doesn't.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LoLth:
    Nope, the phone *was* able to detect police radar. </font>
    This better be sarcasm, or at least have some proof behind it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yah it did work, and not only that but it worked from a typical cell distance range, not just visible range. Of course your better off with a proper detector and a cd stuck on your windscreen shiny face out if your going to speed and risk peoples lives.

Nokias can do a lot more than just that, netmonitor can be activated and with pc software you can triangulate anyones phone and pinpoint them anywhere in the country. Don't forget your phone is effectively a scanner/receiver and transmitter and with the easy access to modify Nokias the possibilities are endless, theres a lot of stuff out there that you won't find on the net. The GSM algo was published a while back, you only need to grab a 20 second encrypted conversation to extract a key out of it, once you have someone's key you can listen in on all their conversations, intercept all their SMS's and even clone their SIM card without having it. And yeh the cops can listen in on you, their main problem however is the fact that it's too hard for them to keep track of who owns what number since the release of 'ready to go' anonymous SIMs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yeah I remember that on the news
    The truckers with their Shinny CD's on the windscreen biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Someone explain this CD-on-windscreen thing to me smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

But blade, wouldnt you need like some expensive kit to try and track people with their phones? smile.gif

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bats

here, blade, this triangulation stuff, any starting points? (thanking you!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen:
    Someone explain this CD-on-windscreen thing to me smile.gif</font>

well BASICALLY:
    CD + Laser CD trap = you not getting caught.
    The theory being the laser bounced off the CDs and didn't register your speed. REALLY doubt it works. or worked. ever. anywhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Well I dunno about Irish speed traps or what Igy is on about there at all, but the CD thing in Germany was used to simply cause a major flash blurr on the photo taken by the speed trap camera, thus making the drivers face irrecognisable in the picture and possibly the number plate. It's been used for years in Germany to get passed the fixed road side cameras, of course this wouldn't get passed the radar guns. Possibly what Igy's getting mixed up with there is that black material that you find on the front nose and bonnet of some prototype cars which absorb radar rather than bouncing it back to the radar gun, thus not giving a reading.

The triangulation thing just requires 'netmonitor' to be enabled on your nokia which you do with a cable to pc and basic software that you'll find for your particular phone all over astalavista's mobile section, then you run the actual triangulation software again still with the cable connected to your phone from a PC or laptop. I haven't seen the actual triangulation software itself on the Net but a mate of mine managed to get it 'somewhere' and I seen it working when I was up in his house a few months back, I wasn't particularly interested cause I don't have a Nokia ATM so I didn't bother getting it. It just works out where a phone is using the cell info given to you by using netmonitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Sorry, this thread came up in alt.cellular.nokia a while back, the CDs thing was an urban myth that you could deflect the laser on a speed trap and not get caught.

Triangulation isn't possibly through netmonitor, all you can see is an approximate value for how far away from a certain transmitter you are (screen one, the number in the 'centred' row, usually 1,2 or 3) - a multple of 500m.
    It can be done only if you work in the network, and have access to readouts of what base stations a user's connected to, how far from those base stations they are, and where they are. then just draw lots of lines to narrow it down.
    can't be done without access to the trasnmitters though.

No the CD thing is definatly just to create camera flash blur and it did work, I think in germany the authorities had to actually prove who was driving the car rather than who owned it before they could charge or fine them, I don't know how it works here in Ireland. So the blurring of the drivers face was enough to get them off cause they couldn't prove who was actually driving the car, at least this is what I was told the law was in Germany.

On the triangulation stuff, your correct to say you do infact need certain privilaged information in order to interprete the information given back to you by netmonitor on cell info, but as I said he didn't exactly get this software on the internet wink.gif

And yeh, it won't tell u exactly what house their in but it will tell u what town.

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 03-06-2001).]

Advertisement