Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slackware 7.0 - won't even install

• 27-05-2001 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

After about a week of downloading from a crappy esat.net ftp, I was looking forward to a speedy install...not so...

I have two hard drives..I was hoping to use my secondary one completely for Linux..so after reformatting and repartitioning it for linux, I try the boot disks, everything loads fine...I run the install program and I get as far as the part where I'm asked to select a source. The download is in the C:/slack/ folder on my primary drive. But the install program can never seem to find it! I've tried pre-mounting the directory in every sort of way, and all I get are errors..I'd burn it to a CD if I had one. I'm outa options here...any idea what I can do?

"(Shaft error to Klay[b-airlock140.esatclear.ie]: Erection reset by queer)"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Is this with an ISO image?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Klay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustHalf:
    Is this with an ISO image?</font>

No, Its a direct download..i have all the packages A to Y in a folder on a fat32 partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

is it even possible to load files off a fat32 partition during an install ?

does it give you an option to load modules beforehand i.e. vfat fs module ?

what errors does it give exactly ?

are you typing in c:\slack maybe you should try hda1 and then /slack instead

Mr. Chuffy

[This message has been edited by Kev (edited 27-05-2001).]

yes, no, the error it gives is that it can't find the directory i specified..and no, i know its hda1 /slack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

I think that the first thing to do here is confirm that the install kernel can actually see the source.

After the install routine loads up, move to fresh login screen, [ALT] + [F3] I think will dump you into a Bourne shell. From there see if your FAT32 partition is mounted or, see if you can mount it to /tmp/mnt/whatever.

If that works OK then perhaps leave it mounted then specify the install source.

If your install kernel can't see the FAT32 partition then it's time to locate or build a custom install kernel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

I believe I did this before on an old system that had
    no floppy and you couldn't boot from CD.
    I don't recall if it was slack though....

This URL seems to give a bit of a guide... http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/mb_1.html

Basically you runn the setup.exe from windows, and I think it does some sort of loadlin malarkey...

Try booting linux off a boot floppy and get a shell, prehaps with a rescue disk or somthing.
    See if you can mount your FAT partition, it might even be an idea to fdisk and format a smallish ext2 partition and copy you installation stuff to that.

Theres no setup.exe to run from windows. Okay, I already have a whole 2gig hardrive formatted with a ext2 and swap partition. What im doing is using the root and boot disks i got from the ftp...running the setup program from linux, and getting stuck when it asks for location, cause it can never find it. And whats worse is it goes looking for all the directorys and brings up an error msg for each one, so youve gotta sit down there and keep clicking 'yes' over and over mad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

assuming your windows partition (c:) is the first partition on the primary master IDE hard disk, type the following lines to access it from the shell (try pressing alt+f2, alt+f3, alt+f4, etc. if youre in one of those menu-driven linux setup programs, it might let you access a shell):

mkdir /dos/c
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /dos/c

this will allow you to access your windows c: as "/dos/c"
    so, for example.. to go into c:\slack\, you would type "cd /dos/c/slack"
    then you can press alt+f1 to go back to the menu-driven setup program, and select source directory as "/dos/c/slack"

by the way, /dev/hda in linux is your primary master IDE drive, /dev/hdb is your primary slave, /dev/hdc is secondary master, and /dev/hdd is secondary slave
    so , /dev/hda2 refers to the second partition on the primary master IDE hard disk, etc.
    so if you want to access an IDE cdrom drive which you have put on secondary slave, you can type "/sbin/mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /cdrom" , after making a directory in / called "cdrom"

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 03-06-2001).]

Advertisement