Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another borked motherboard !

• 30-04-2002 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Yes folks ! That's right. Today's line up is that venerable Abit KT7A Raid. Comes with an AGP gfx card and several several sticks of ram that all work !

The highlight of this particular board is the way it doesn't work when you turn it on ! Oh yes ! That's right !

That lovely northbridge fan whirrs up and does it wonderful thing, however it's all alone it's it effort. The poor aul Duron 800 refuses to make an effort. It's a sticky sitation folks and we haven't even got any arctic silver yet !

So anyway.
    Will the thing start without a fan on the chip. Yadda yadda don't do it I know, but it it starts i'll just turn it off straight away and get a heatsink then. I think the chip has been tested and works. I cleared cmos to no avail.

Any ideas before i start looking for someone with a spare duron/athlon to test out in the board ? Yeah I know there's not much else you can really say on the subject... but any deas would be good.

Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

no just the obvious stuff.. im assuming your psu is up to scratch and not some little 200watt psu..

i take it you reseated the P1 connector on the board? try for beep codes with mem taken out.. take out gfx card and try for beeps etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I had the same problem with the equivalent Asus and guess what my mate withe the Abit too.

Is it when you turn it on after half a sec it turns off - hit the switch again and nothing unless you pull the plug for a while ??

If so its the psu - not the amount of watts (a 230 will work - just about!).

Get a new psu form maplins, one of their 350s , if you look at the site for abit they do mention it some where, somthing about the output needs to be a 2.0 rather than the regular 1.8 - not sure myself but my mate told me what to do.

If this is not your issue isgnore my rambling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It won't start without a fan connected to the CPU fan header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

ah right, great stuff. Cheers.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

also athlons and durons go on fire within a few seconds without a heatsink.

www.tomshardware.com had an article, they were basically simulating what would happen if the heatsink fell off, and well, the mobo also got melted as far as I remember, so best to wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Well yes athlons get a lot hotter than P4s they NEED cooling - if your looking for some good heatsinks when you get up and running goto www.overclockers.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

On a more important matter... what does Borked mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

From http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2002/04/17/wimps/index1.html
    But Republicans have long claimed it was the Democrats who kicked off the modern era of trash politics with their aggressive 1987 battle to block Robert Bork from the Supreme Court. So primal was this wound to the Republican psyche, that to this day whenever a conservative ideologue is rejected by the Senate, the GOP screams he's been "borked."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by astrofool
    also athlons and durons go on fire within a few seconds without a heatsink.

www.tomshardware.com had an article, they were basically simulating what would happen if the heatsink fell off, and well, the mobo also got melted as far as I remember, so best to wait :)

yeah i'm aware of this alright. I'll worry about that when I get it running for around 1 second. Not goona go and spend money on a heatsink if i don't have to !

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Make sure you dont have the fan on backwards, i built a system pissed one night and i did that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

also athlons and durons go on fire within a few seconds without a heatsink

don't I bloody know it.

Advertisement