Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ireland beats UK in next-gen broadband buildout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yet still nobody has access to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

80p, this is your territory. Care to explain to goose why Ireland has not and will not beat the UK in next-gen broadband buildout, barring a shift in policy in the DPE?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

The "e" word perhaps or is that too much of a simplified view !?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

We've been analysing this rollout and the problem isn't getting it around the country, it's getting it to the users from the nodes. That's what we need. Otherwise we will be stuck with eircom trying to monopolies the market outside of Dublin.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

ireland beats UK in next-gen broadband buildout

LOL someone get me some thread and needle have to stitch my side up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

broadband is going to take off soon in UK like a freaking saturn b5
    rocket

BT have ridiculously cut costs on it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Well Eircom have cut costs too last week.
    If they do end up monopolising BB access, the other telco's have only themselves to blame. Given the logistics of wiring the country, and our population density, yes, the wholesale price is higher. And anyway there are far more urgent telecom related problems than broadband out there at the moment. Just as a test I asked 12 colleagues (at random- the 12 closest to my desk in an open plan office), what the new number to ring the emergency services throughout the EU is.......
    Only one solitary soul knew the answer ( 112 BTW).
    999 does not work on mobiles and will be turned off landlines by 2005- leaving just 112. Broadband simply does not matter to the average Joe Soap- hell a 56k modem does me fine at home- I even stream video over it (albeit a bit jerkily :) )
    There are other more pressing issues. There is not expected to be a compelling demand for BB and indeed 3G services 'til 2006 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by dahamsta
    80p, this is your territory. Care to explain to goose why Ireland has not and will not beat the UK in next-gen broadband buildout, barring a shift in policy in the DPE?

adam

Yea it's not like people can do a search on these boards for posts over the last 4 years with phrases like "Wow look X are rolling out broadband really soon in Ireland!".

Advertisement