Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crush on lecturer

Options
  • 30-04-2002 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have this really big problem!!! I think i'm in love with one of my lecturers!!! She's beautiful, young, sexy and smart! need i go on......... one night i saw her in the local niteclub and i went up talking to her and we got on really well!!! and since then i'm always talking to her at lunch time and after class basicially whenever i get a chance. Her voice is soo sexy!!! we get on really well and i want to know is it illegal for us to go out with each other???Please help tanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

No, not at all. Go for it, have a blast.

I was in a school where our teacher named "Ms. Robinson" amazingly went out with a student. It was school so is frowned upon but in college these things are known to happen. You can be older than your lecturer in college nowadays.

Ah go for it, as somebody once said... carpe deiueiioam, sieze the day, or was it sieve the hay...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I dont think its illegal unless you are still under the legal age of consent, 16 I believe, which I doubt you are if you are in college.

However the college is sure to frown on such things if anything did develop from it... which would more than likely put her career in jepordy should it develop any further.

I'm sure you've heard it all before about students having crushes on their teachers and lecturers and it has been proved than this is a fairly common occurance..

However you have only given your side of the story, has there been any indication on her feelings regarding this subject..??

Granted you get on very well both during and outside college hours but that doesnt mean that there is anything more going to happen.

I would be sure of that before you even think of taking something like that any further.... as if it does develop then fair enough but just take note of possible consequences of your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    16 I believe,
    16 in UK
    17 in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Assuming that both parties are of legal age...

Go for it. I did when I was in college ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Originally posted by Victor

17 in Ireland

Where are u getting that from?
    Its 16 in ireland.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by havok*
    Where are u getting that from?
    Its 16 in ireland.
    No. The age of consent in Ireland is 17, anything else is sexual assault.

See:
    Irish Statute Book http://193.120.124.98/front.html

http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

It's not illegal, but the college may have regulations against it. Generally a blind eye is turned to these things as long as the lecturer in question is not marking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah afaik its against regulations, if the lecturer has any practicals or lectures with the student. Doesn't stop it happening though, its all kept well hush hush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Yes Gerry. By the way, I could do with a CD writer. That's if you don't want me alerting the authorities to you and you-know-who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Slider

I say go for it man. but just do be careful, and be sure to take responsibility for your own actions. Keeping it hush hush maybe best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Slider

Originally posted by Victor

No. The age of consent in Ireland is 17, anything else is sexual assault.

See:
    Irish Statute Book http://193.120.124.98/front.html

http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm

Maybe you are correct but I actually think that the legal age is in fact 16 and not 17 in ireland.

check out the site again, it does read that "This site is not an official site, we do not guarantee the accuracy......".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Never the less, it is not the issue of age you are trying to rectify here but the issue of ethics. There has always been the unwritten rule of law that if both candidates are of similar ages then a blind eye is turned ie if two 15 are dating and she gets pregnant technically he can be prosecuted for rape as she is not the legal age but if that it would mental with all the underage pregnancies. But the issue in hand is that if your/a lecturer has a relationship with a student (regardless of teaching them or not) it is unethical (not illeagal), and can be deemed as a punishable if not sackable.

Think about your hormones. Keep them as a friend. Work hard and graduate and then date her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Slider

Maybe you are correct but I actually think that the legal age is in fact 16 and not 17 in ireland.

check out the site again, it does read that "This site is not an official site, we do not guarantee the accuracy......".

It's 17 in Ireland, you can trust me on that one - came as a surprise to me too, it is 16 in England and since the majority of soaps we tend to watch where there are rape cases are from England we get the figure as 16 into our heads.

It's 17.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just having a look at that age of consent site. I think Its interesting to note that homosexual intercourse is illegal in an assload of american states and not in Cuba. So some american gay people are better off in their nations sworn enemy than in their homeland if they are caught gettin jiggy.

Anyroad. My advice to this Unregistered dude is to ask her out. You won't get ruined if she rejects you because you can do it when none of your mates are there and she is hardly going to announce it to the college on the old "no smoke without a fire" rule which could ruin her career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by Slider
    Maybe you are correct but I actually think that the legal age is in fact 16 and not 17 in ireland. check out the site again, it does read that "This site is not an official site, we do not guarantee the accuracy......".
    No, you are wrong. :mad: The Irish Statute Book is an official site (part of the Attorney General's office). Having sex with someone under 17 is one of a variety of sexual assault offences.

I wonder about your interest (obsession?) in having sex with 16 year olds. :rolleyes:

ok
    i think this has gone slightly off the track here, the initiail question was should he make a move on his lecturer, not statute limitions of cardinal knowledge.

Unregistered what is your age and do you really need to date your lectruer

and for some strange reason i posted the age thing here yesterday and it is vanished

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sheesh, Nanook you're always so eager to have a reason to be paranoid :D

It's up there somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

It was in all the papers a while back about the age of consent. There was a missprint/misunderstanding with the education department and they got in trouble for teaching kids that the age of consent was 16 when they should have been teaching that it was in fact 17.

• Advertisement

me paranoid

Who told you that, what are ppl saying about me

Advertisement