Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety

Options
  • 30-04-2002 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

For those who do not know what it is-It is not nice.

For me, its getting tense, feeling sick, depressed, stomach pains and generally feeling unwell at the thought of,say, going out for a few drinks, meeting a girl for a date, going visiting mates, meals...etc.
    It can happen before an everyday event ..i.e- Before going to the pub/ someones house or during it...or both.

A few personal experiences..

Feeling fine until called to go for a meal with mates(whom I knew well), then feeling like crap, not eating much at all, going for a few drinks afterwards, barely sipping the drink, then vomiting shortly afterwards.

Feeling fine. Meeting a girl in a nite club, going back to her place for a cuppa, not being able to drink the tea, feeling rotten, vomiting.

Okay, this has stopped recently thank God, only because a huge problem in life is over i.e-Long term ilness of parent-now no longer with me RIP.
    I Hope anxiety never haunts me again(it did for 5 years) and could happen again, lets hope not, though.

Has anyone else suffered from this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Feeling fine until called to go for a meal with mates(whom I knew well), then feeling like crap, not eating much at all, going for a few drinks afterwards, barely sipping the drink, then vomiting shortly afterwards.

Has anyone else suffered from this ?

Yup, quite a bit when I was younger, hardly ever now. Really wierd and frustrating when you can't understand why the hell it is happening.

From experience, it would usually happen in the lead up to say a night out, I wouldn't be able to eat much and I would feel quite nauseous (sp?). But as soon as I would walk into the pub/night club it would disappear, and then I'd feel absoultely great except that I would be starving quite early having not ate much earlier. Thinking about it now I think it had something to do with me being anxious about not getting let into the pub/club by the bouncers, my friends were/are all older than me so they would have no problem, but I always thought I wouldn't be let it in.

I have felt anxious at other times and in other situations and I believe that certain anxiety can have a lot to do with self esteem or lack of it.

Thats just my 2 cents, but good to know that I wasn't the only one going through anxiety like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Will respond when I overcome my depresssion, anxiety, paranoid delusions and internet addiction. :(

I get it occassionally. Can be very embarassing if you're jumpy in work or at home. Things that aggravate the condition for me include :

Too much sugar
    Not enough sleep
    Not enough green veg in diet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kitton

i get anxious too,it usually means i get a red rash on my chest and face and arms and feel dizzy and can't breate properly n stuff.i think it scares people sometimes cos i get hyper n shakey too which freaks people out.i hate it,its a horrible sensation.and its crap cos it is usually before something big or fun like going out and it ruins it somtimes.its crappy.

I've gotten some really bad panic/anxiety attacks before, except they seem to come out of nowhere and for no apparent reason.
    They're pretty rare, but when they come I just feel strangely freaked for hours.
    Scared of noting in perticular, but terrified all the same.
    I've found limiting my intake of caffene very helpful, since when the big panic attacks hit, it's usualy after I've downed a 2litre of coke and had numerous cups of strong coffee. :cool:

The smaller ones sound familair aswell, going out, getting ready to go out drinking or whatever.
    I can be pretty nervous when I'm out boozing, which ruins the whole experience most of the time... could be social anxiety disorder or something. :)

• Advertisement

yeah its a bitch its used to happen to me when i'd get nervous such as going somewhere new or meeting some friends which i knew well but it would usually disappear when i'd meet them, sometimes i just wouldnt be able to speak it would make me painfully shy.
    The shyness was the worst because i am normally a loud mouthed guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

When anxious, I used to lock myself in my room with my books and my computer and never get out, not to see anybody.

Then I tried to get over it and go out, walk for hours in the forest.
    Then I stayed for hours in the forest with a book.
    Then I lived in town and did not have a forest around anymore.
    Then I kicked myself and went to meet people.
    People are fun, there's loads to learn from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It isn't uncommon nowadays unfortunately. Life has evolved in such as way there's a lot of pressure on people to not only get by in life (get a job, make money, rent a house, buy a house, find a mate), there's pressure in smaller forms from the people around you. Does he dress okay. He didn't wash today! He's got crap taste in music. He annoys me. People feel as if they have to please everyone around them. Try not to do something unusual in case someone pounces on you! Usually these are more insecurities than actual threats. People aren't that mean :)

Get out among people, start with friends you already have. The more you're around people, the more you will get used to it, and the more outgoing you will become. Being with friends and meeting new people, and most of all having fun will make you more confident. It doesn't sound like it's too much of a problem for you anymore, it was probably just stress related, so don't worry. Khynareth hit the nail on the head. Meet people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

This is actually something that I'm dealing with at the moment. I don't think people should be ashamed of this type of thing (I notice most of you are Unregistered on this topic). Mental illness is as "normal" as physical illness. After all, your brain is made of matter and tissue in the same way that the rest of you is.

I've talked openly with my GP and friends about this in an attempt to deal with it. I can very much understand and empathise with feeling absolutely terrified of nothing at all for hours and hours at a time. I also become suspicious of the people around me - even my boyfriend who I know loves me and would never hurt me. My GP says that it is usually sparked by a combination of things:

1. Ongoing stressful situations and
    2. One particular traumatic event.

The way to get better is to cut down on stress by reorganising, decreasing the amount of work you do (if possible), taking exercise and allowing yourself a recovery period where you can just relax and read or watch movies for a week or two.

The next thing you must do is try to find out what the original traumatic experience was. It may have seemed trivial at the time but could have had a profond effect on you.

For me, it was that I woke up in my house one night to hear loud screaming and my first thought was that somebody was being hacked to death. It was of course, nothing of the sort, which I quickly realised. But after that night, I started having severe anxiety attacks.

I've got some medication too, which I don't take much, because it has sedative qualities. However, it is reassuring to have it in my bag whilst I'm out so that I know that if an attack comes on I can take one.

Do not let anxiety beat you. I understand exactly how profound an effect it can have on your work, your relationships and your academics.

If you do not have a friend that you can talk with (somebody compassionate and understanding) then I suggest having a chat with a counsellor about it. You do not have to live with anxiety for the rest of your life if you decide that you won't.

So if you have these attacks I suggest:

1. Being open about them.
    2. Talking it out with somebody close.
    3. Having a chat with your GP about counselling or medication.
    4. Trying to uncover the original traumatic event.
    5. Allowing yourself to rest once in a hile.
    6. DON'T LET IT TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE!

There is always light at the end of the tunnel. If anyone who is suffering with anxiety would like somebody to talk to about it all, feel free to PM me and we can email, or chat or whatever.

PS I think that some of you may be underestimating the term "anxiety" here.

I have no problems with meeting people; I've got loads of friends and I like being social.

This is the medical condition of axiety which certainly cannot be dealt with just by going out a bit more! It's soemthing totally different. It's more like terror that makes you frightened to open the bathroom door for some reason. It's terror that makes you look at your loved ones in a paranoid and suspicious way. It's a big deal. It's not a small niggling worry - it's a huge frightening, paralysing sensation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yes, neuro, I know, but it doesn't sound like "Unregistered" (for lack of better naming:) has a severe problem, and admitted that everything seems fine now.

Actual Anxiety (as opposed to being nervous/shy) is a more serious issue, one I'm also familiar with. If Unregistered feels that he/she is suffering from that, that's different from the impression I got, but Neuro has offered herself for PM'ing sessions, as do I :)

Originally posted by neuro-praxis
    I've got some medication too, which I don't take much, because it has sedative qualities. However, it is reassuring to have it in my bag whilst I'm out so that I know that if an attack comes on I can take one.

Be carefull with that, they are usually very addictive and tend to put you in a sort of second state. You fell ok because you don't realise everything, and you tend to rely more and more on them, until you completely lost touch... Sometimes it's not that bed, but sometimes it is, they're really no good.
    It's most of the time swapping a bad for a worse.

I'd rather feel anxious/depressed than use these stuff... Experience talking... When you wake up one morning thinking ****, I've no pills left and start panicking, it's too late.

I'm not saying it is or wil be your case, I'm just be very cautious with these stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Oh God I used to get it terrible! I used to get anxious over the slightest little things when I was younger, like just going to school, and school was ok for me I wasn't really bullied or anything. I used to feel sick and throw up on occasion.

I still get it sometimes but I usually just put the head down and jump right into whatever it was that was making me feel nervous. Granted this has lead to some stupid and rash actions by yours truly but if it wasn't for this approach I would miss out on a lot of the good things in life.

I refuse to let my fears control me now. If smart John gets nervous then stoopid John takes over!* :D

*Not to be taken literally, I don't have split personalities.

I am the original poster of this topic..

..Thanks a million for all the responses, it certainly helps things when problems are shared.
    I have taken all of these into account.

I understand what is being said about the drugs, but trust me that I had a long talk with my doctor before accepting them. I don't have enough of them to gain a dependance- you have to take them every day. 2-3 times a aday, for 6 weeks in order to get reliant, and I have only taken one 4 times in the last 3 weeks. If your doctor is responsible she/he will only give you a small number of them and not on repeat prescription.

Originally posted by neuro-praxis
    I understand what is being said about the drugs, but trust me that I had a long talk with my doctor before accepting them. I don't have enough of them to gain a dependance- you have to take them every day. 2-3 times a aday, for 6 weeks in order to get reliant, and I have only taken one 4 times in the last 3 weeks. If your doctor is responsible she/he will only give you a small number of them and not on repeat prescription.

Cool... If you are aware and know what you are doing, no problem...
    I f***d by doctors a few times, and I tend not to trust them, at all... I am for natural alternatives and healing. I'd rather bang my head against the walls than take pills when I don't know what's in them.
    When you use natural methods (aroma therapy, homeopathy), you tend to find long term solutions rather than cure one single problem when it's there. It's more about balancing your body on the long term, rather than try to get rid of a single issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

to go along with the daily stresses that life gives you, you will also find that things you do may not help either.... you being people in general not you!!!!!!

like if you drink coffee in access you will shake and feel nervy, because you need more of the caffine, the same with fags and tea, did you know Tea infact has more cafine then coffee?

they say you should drink either after 5pm

i found relaxation a great way to deal with lifes stresses, now i can lay down and camly go through my life and what has happened and fix things and or work things out, i can also do this on a beach jsut getting lost in thought..... like a time out from life, its fantastic.

I know exactly what you're talking about: the anxiety is there all the time, making you feel sick, never able to eat, vomiting all the time because it makes it better. There's a cause, probably, but you just can't quite put your finger on it.

Well, if your problems persist, go and see your GP. He might be able to prescribe some mild anti-depressants (Prozac or Lustral but most likely Seroxat). They work by increasing seratonin in the brain and get rid of your anxiety almost instantaneously after they start working (usually after two weeks). There's no stigma attached to them, theyre just tablets that help people just like paracetamol. You might also consider seeing someone if you need to, if you aren't already. Nothing weird about that either.

If you can't come to control your anxiety on your own or with the help of family and friends, go and see your doctor. What harm can be done?

Have suffered from panic disorder for about 8 years.

My GP put me on Cipramil and I think they helped greatly, I had tried Xeroxat, Prozac and a couple others without much joy.

I think the most important thing in dealing with the disorder is to find a doctor / therapist you have confidence in.

I had a couple of false starts with doctors who simply didn't understand / care.

Try one, try another, find one that makes you think "jesus, this guy understands - he said this - he said that" be excited and look foward to the meetings.

I know how you feel, try and be positive about every little victory, no matter how small crongratulate yourself, unlearn those bad habits.

Good luck!

Advertisement