Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access PC from internet

• 30-04-2002 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a way i can access my home computer from another PC and download important files that only be accessed by my desktop at home via the internet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

I used a program called a PAL to dial into a network.
    Use PC anywhere to do it.
    There was another program i used, but i cant think of the name of it. I took over control of the PC, was a bit freaky, if someone took over the pc you were workin on, the mouse would start running around opening windows and stuff, very freaky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Gaz

I could be wrong but i dont think you can transfer files using PCanywhere , as far as i know its only to give you access to the computer to change settings and stuff ie: Remote Admin , well thats all ive ever used it for.

But like i said i could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Net Support allows the remote control of pcs, and the transfer of files from client to host etc.

You can also use winVNC. which is free, but that does not allow you to transfer files.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Well the client uses a dial up connection and the host uses a leased line. Are these software packages easy to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Most of that is a bit overkill assuming both pc's are on the net.

Simply get an ftp server running on your file server pc and ftp in whenever you need. http://esatnet.tucows.com/ftpserver95.html

• Advertisement

How do get the IP address of the client? There is SHH Secure Shell Client and WS FTP LE and Telnet are on the network which one is user friendly and does what I want to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Try LoudPC!

It allows you to access your Outlook or Outlook Express folders, mails, calender, etc. certain folders on your computer, and more from a secure website through your PC or through your wap enabled mobile phone.

Its not bad...

www.loudpc.com and my.loudpc.com

Regards,

David
    www.bmor.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

gah, i enjoyed being the only Simpsons_-_Chainsaw_Homer.gif:)

I would say "Great minds think alike" but.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

.....fools seldom differ.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

www.gotomypc.com

Simple.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I might be misreading the question but...

Back when both my brother and I had NoLimits (only one of us has it now:D), we used Netmeeting so I could download files using both PCs. (the real cheapo option - cost nothing) Never transferred files between the machines (but I don't think that's what you were asking)

I want to be able to connect to my home PC via the internet from a PC elsewhere and look through my files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

ok.... so run a nice ftp server on it. Id recommend Serv-U (at the link on my previous post). However there are many other programs that do the same job.

If you are not sure of what ip you get on your home pc when it dials up, get a static domain name at www.dyndns.org. (Full explanation on the website).

Of course this is all assuming that your home pc is connected to the internet when you try and connect to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You could try Novell's iFolder. It's more of a corporate solution, but it would allow you to keep your files synced in a central repository, and then logging from any client anywhere would keep the files synched up..

Works great..
    More here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

You could also try upgrading to Windows XP Pro. That has a cool feature, Remote Desktop :D, + its not too slow if your only on a 56k connection. It cuts out unneccessory graphics, like the background. But it makes you feel really like if you were sitting in front of your pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

... which NetMeeting does on all other versions of Windows.

I've used it to type documents at home when I couldn't find my Office discs to install Word on my Limerick machine. Full control of everything on the other machine - almost like sitting in front of it (and you can talk to the person on the other end too)

Advertisement