Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More tenders for fibre rings announced

Options
  • 30-04-2002 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have just read a tender for broadband metroplolitan fibre rings for Portlaoise, Tullamore, Athlone, Mullingar, and Roscommon. It says there will be 76km of fibre installed in total. there will also be co-location facilities. This much fibre dose not sound like it is going to go up to everyones fron door, or even up every street. Its time to start thinking now about what sort of equipment could be installed on these rings to give wireless access or some form of dsl to customers. Community co-ops might be needed if telcos don't get interested.

Kavav

See the tender in the irish times or www.etenders.gov.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I live in Portlaoise and posted an article up here about these rings that I read in my local newspaper, The Leinster Express, ages ago.

Even though I live in Portlaoise and should be looking forward to the town finally getting something like this, it's not going to make a difference to me personally as you'll find that it's only going to be big businesses that'll be able to access these fibre rings. Still, it's a start, I guess.

I wonder if there's anyone around these parts willing (and rich enough) to start up a local co-op thingy, such as was mentioned in another post! lol

Advertisement