Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux & Celeron

• 13-11-1998 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I used to hae Linux Redaht 5.0 on my P133
    Recently i installed redhat5.1 on the same machine except i was atfter upgrading it to
    an Abit board and a Celeron 300 which is running at 374MHz. but it is a LOT slower than the 133!!! no serious, has anyone else
    experienced this kind of **** going on cos its really annoying. I mean i load netscape nav and it take up to 40/50 secs?!?!??!
    Thats not on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

hmm,
    kinda strange, is your chip a celeron 300, or a celeron 300A ?

the 300A should run ok with linux, but the 300 will prolly be **** slow cos linux makes extensive use of level 2 processor cache, which doesnt exist on the celeron 300 (300A has it).
    this means that the celeron 300 running linux
    uses the system RAM as its level 2 cache.. which is a LOT slower..
    basically if you want to run linux or NT, celeron 'A' is the chip for you, not the normal celeron :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 b3

up

Advertisement