Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do u register/copyright a site name that doesn't exist?

Options
  • 01-05-2002 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi how do u register/copyright a site name that doesn't exist? I have a good name for a website that I wanna make but I don't know how to go about registering/copyrighting it???
    Any suggestions would be great ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

If its a dot com website you just register the site with any hosting provider - you'll find some in this forum!

If its a .ie you need to register a company with that name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

As Buddy said, for com/net/org/info, etc.... any registrar of domain names will do.

For .ie, you have to 'have a claim' to the name, so you will need a company, or even just a Registered Business Name Certificate (€30 from the companies office). .ie domains tend to cost at least 3 times as much as the other domains, depending on where you get them. See http://irishhostreview.com/domains.htm for a list of providers of .ie with prices,

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

FYI, you dont copyright a domain, you merely rent it. So if I was you I would keep my mouth shut-ie, dont tell the world about it, and register it asap.

Check the above ^^ for registrars :)

Advertisement