Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not enuf memory

• 18-03-1999 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

heres some of the problems ive come up against in win98 recently:

when the logon box (frontreg) pops up at startup..it gives an illegal operation message, always.

when i try to run any self extracting .exe's (not executable zips mind u, install sheilds) they give an out of memory message.

gamespy also gives an out of memory error.

I'm pretty sure this is a memory problem but i have 64megs ffs, and the system resources are always around 84% free..and i've tried running these programs with nothing else in the background. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Get NT5 smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Take a trip to www.antivirus.com and run the program "House Call" its an online virus checker. You shouldnt be getting out of memory errors with 64megs and 83% system resourses free. Might be worth a try.

SB...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

on the login, you don't need it unless you're on a network, remove it. it could be a corrupt driver causing the prob. use msinfo to check what is actually sitting in mem.

have u tried re-installing windows? smile.gif it sounds like somethings frigged, a re-install would prob fix the problem quicker than trying to track it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I ran that Housecall program, anyway it came up with about 175 files on my pc having been infected by the "pe_margburg" virus, apparently this is just an annoyance that makes loadsa x's appear on your screen at a set date. Anyway thats gone now. But it has nothing to do with the memory problems. A full reinstall of Win98 will fix it i suppose, thx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

ive reinstalled win98 and done a full defrag on both hard drives. The crash errors dont appear anymore thankfully. But I still get this error anytime i try to extract certain install shield files (namely Communicator 5 and QT3, its not that these files are corrupt, it has happend to ones i tried to extract from a cd and ones i d/l'ed)

"The decompression of %s failed. There may not be enough free disk space available in the TEMP directory"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    ive reinstalled win98 and done a full defrag on both hard drives. The crash errors dont appear anymore thankfully. But I still get this error anytime i try to extract certain install shield files (namely Communicator 5 and QT3, its not that these files are corrupt, it has happend to ones i tried to extract from a cd and ones i d/l'ed)

"The decompression of %s failed. There may not be enough free disk space available in the TEMP directory"
    </font>

increase your swap file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

blah 2yr old thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement