Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel question

• 01-05-2002 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

hi,
    i need to figure this out for my own sanity if nothing more

i have a column of titles
    i have a column of values matching the titles

eg
    ann 1
    barry 2
    conor 3
    david 4

i need to have a cell setup so if i enter david (say into cell a4) it puts 4 into c4

any ideas?

soln should be something like
    =IF(D29=Sheet6!A3:A224,E29=Sheet6!E3:E224,E29="unknown")
    but it keeps returning false

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

nearer a solution

=IF(Sheet6!A3:A224,Sheet6!E3:E224,"unknown")

it matches column a's entry
    but i can't get it to pick the correct column e entry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

not too sure what you are looking for but don't if statements go someting like

if(cell number=value,(then)this,(or)that)

hard for me to explain

if(a4=10,"is big","something else")

this means is cell a4 displays 10 then the cell that the if statement is in will display "is big", if the value isn't 10 then it will display "something else"

(without quotes)

yea,
    thats what i have

=IF
    (D29=Sheet2!A3:A224,
    "blah",
    "other blah")

the problem is getting "blah" to return the value of the corrosponding value to where d29 was the same as the entry in the a column

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

What you need is vlookup me lad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

if(d29=a3:a224,"bla","other bla")

ok this has probably gone way over my head, and in which case i am sorry, but don't you have cell d29 equal to a range or values from cell a3 to a224. now i don't know excel very well but is this possible. maybe there sould be only one value not 221 values

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

you need a vlookup formula.

basically on the sheet where when you enter the david in one column and you want the corresponding associated value from the other sheet in this case the number 4. then in the field where you want the 4 to appear you need to enter the vlookup formula.

again for example
    sheet 1 contains the two columns with the initial data (A1:D4) four rows, and two columns

and
    sheet 2 contains the where you want to enter the key word "david" into field A1 and get a corrisponding value in A2

the forumla should look like =vlookup(A1,sheet1!A1:D4,2,false)

or in english lookup the data contained in A1, in the range of date on sheet 1 in fields A1 to D4, and when you find it return the value in the second field (i.e. the field next to the common data).

the false and true part at the end as far as I can remember is false for an exact match and true for a near match.

couple of points to note if using. If both the sheets are in the same workbook you will need to absolute the range by putting in $ before and after the numeric. And if the data range where the info is being looked up contains two or more of the same data (i.e. two fields with the name david) it will return the first corrisponding value it comes across - from the top down.

Hope this helped.....sorry its a bit long winded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

But it has smiley faces so that's OK : D

info here
    i'm trying to get the currency to match from sheet 2 and then take the euro rate

ta

rename .xls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

cheers all (esp Mercury_Tilt)
    you are the WIN!

• Advertisement
Advertisement