Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland building super-fast gigabit Ethernet backbones between cities?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

news to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The UK is losing out on broadband because of an obsession with cable modems and ADSL, according to networking giant Cisco.

Nigel Moulton, director of marketing at Cisco, said that, while France and Ireland are spending a fortune building super-fast gigabit Ethernet backbones between cities, the UK is concentrating on slower technology.
    Yes, but cable modems and ADSL serve a very different purpose than 'gigabit Ethernet backbones between cities'. Backbones don't deliver to the end user. Finally, is Ireland really deploying gigabit Ethernet between cities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ironfist77

Maybe he thinking off Iceland :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

We have no shortage of infrastructure. There's masses of dark fiber in the ground between our major urban centers. We need them to put some of those nice little glass wires closer to our doorsteps.

BTW the UK LINX network, which peers many of the UK ISPs for national traffic, uses 10Gbit ethernet in its infrastructure. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/24692.html

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Finally, is Ireland really deploying gigabit Ethernet between cities?
    It does make sense if you want to get a vast number of IP packets from point A to point B. It's very efficient and your techies don't need to learn about complicated ATM stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by longword
    It does make sense if you want to get a vast number of IP packets from point A to point B. It's very efficient and your techies don't need to learn about complicated ATM stuff.
    Yes, indeed. I didn't think it was in use in Ireland, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

I cannot believe that I am the first person to point out that this is complete and utter rubbish. Gigabit Ethernet is limited to cable runs of a few hundred meters. It cannot possibly be used to link cities hundreds of miles apart.

The UK LINX people longword is talking about use Gigabit Ethernet within their data centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Can't use repeaters then eh ?

Gav

Originally posted by Meh
    I cannot believe that I am the first person to point out that this is complete and utter rubbish. Gigabit Ethernet is limited to cable runs of a few hundred meters.

The UK LINX people longword is talking about use Gigabit Ethernet within their data centres.
    Fibre is a wonderful thing. They're not only using it within their data centres, but between their several data centres AFAIK. It's not exactly long distance though - they only operate within the M25.

http://www.foundrynet.com/technologies/10Gig/overview.html

A decent pair of glass wires should be good for at least 40 kilometers at 10Gbit speeds. They can also stuff it into SONET framing to get further using teleco gear - we're talking intercontinental here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

I'd say it's more than likely DWDM fibre. Also longwood, if you can afford to put in 1Gb links I'm sure you could afford a few network engineers :)

Cogent in the US does 100Mb ethernet links, but I think that comes into your building as fibre and is converted to Cat5 ethernet.

http://www.cogentco.com/home.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

Originally posted by longword

Since when was ATM complicated?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

maybe this will be installed by 'da little peaple' yknaw, deedldlly di do...those peaple all over the country digging their little tunnels to hide gold and ya know INSTALLING FIBRE & CISCO ROUTERS --FFS...

Ok, at what point did the IDA and Tourism Ireland get togther...Visit Ireland... where we smile every day cos we have gigabit lines near our houses..and then watch us blow your car up cos we CANT GET A COMPANY TO JOIN IT TO THE FRIGGING HOUSE FOR LESS THE THE COST OF THE QUEENS JEWELS!!!

Cable cable everywhere and not a compant to light it...

you could spend a BAZILLION QABILLION EURO on joinging every city-- not worth a crap until its in my house...and then maybe finally i can have a logo on my name over 20K in size!!!

yes i am loosing it...dont bother i know..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

also...you can use repeaters...sharp knives, sticks what ever you want...i just want to connect to the web for less them 720 euro per month (to quote another person here)

now can we please use the next week or o to put your local TD under the only pressure they feel in 4 years and ask....W H E N

not i spent 300 million, not if i was in you would have gigabit lines...jesus have you noticed the nearer we get the the election...

i have 56K
    i want 128K
    they have 500K
    outside the town is 5 megabit
    and now gigabit between cities....

lets delay the election and see what speed we can get up to....LOL

I promise you...a terabyte connection...'oh the last guy said that....ok then...i promise you 2 terabytes...happy?'

Advertisement