Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Studies

Options
  • 01-05-2002 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing it ? What are you doing ? Supposidly our teacher screwed us over by picking all the hard topics so I'm stuck in grinds for the rest of the year :( .

Any decent revision books etc. for it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

Any decent revision books etc. for it ?

they don't even print past papers for it... :(

which topics are you doing?

Afaik, most people [including my class and the institute revision course] are doing Alexander, the Odyssey & Aeneid, Oedipus + Medea + Promethus bound/the frogs and then Roman art and architecture and/or town planning...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I'm doing that but instead of Alex and architecture and towns I'm doing Peloponnese war and Plato's republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 alex122

We're doing:

Alexander the Great
    Greek Drama - Medea, Oedipus etc.
    Greek Art & Architecture
    Augustan Writers - pretty short topic

I doubt there are any revision books out there; as the other person said they don't even print past papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Seriously doubt they do revision books for CS cos bout twice as many peeps do applied maths and they dont do one for that (believe me, I've searched). Damn unpopular subjects!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

A bud of mine is doing Classical studies and he seems to think it is a grand subject especially if you have an interest in it. I can confirm that they don't print exam papers or revision papers. If anyone is really desperate for exam papers then get in touch with me and maybe i can help you out.....

Damnyanks : i read those two books and i don't even do Classical studies :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

I have a couple of sets of past papers but they're not the books sold by the department, they're just separate copies of the years past so if anyone wants one or two of them, just let me know.

the only thing that made be of some use are the yorke or cliffs notes on any of the epics but apart from that its simply a matter of having good notes from the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Hrm well considering our teacher gave us notes last year and everyone lost them that rules out the notes bit, she also pointed out recently that she had confused 2 characters in the Pelo war and that they were in actual fact the same person:rolleyes: .

it is a grand subject especially if you have an interest in it

I'm not amaizingly interested in it but I have most of the course under me now thanks to those grinds since they did the "easy" stuff and we did the "hard" stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I found some past papers on the Department of Education website.... dunno if they're still there though...

For me CL.S. is more interesting than the alternatives...
    Geography, Accounting... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Lo, Classics isnt that hard,were doing Alex / Medea / Oedipus / Art + Architecture / The Epics. Each essay contains five main points.Stick to that with a conclusion and and Intro and you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Konix

I really enjoy classics myself and decided to do thucydides, the peloponesian war by myself. Does anyone have any links to past papers on goverment sites or any notes they can pass on through email or somethign for me? I'd really appreciate it as i can't find past papers anywhere....been looking all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Joe-Pie

I'm doing
    -Peleponnesian War (Topic 1)
    -Alexander (Topic 2)
    -The Odyssey
    The Aeneid (Topic 6?)
    -Roman Art & Architecture (Topic 8)

Had my mock today.
    Teachers made it themselves. Word of advice. You don't need to do town planning. Just do paintings. TP almost never comes up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My class are doing:
    - Alexander the Great
    - Greek Drama
    - Greek Art and Architecture
    - Roman Poetry

I hate Greek Art and Architecture, but I love the rest of the course. Also theres only like 11 people in my class, which is really cool - I love small classes! Our teacher did photocopy the past papers and the marking schemes for us, but only the pages that are relevant to our topics, so I'm afraid I can't help anyone out on anything thats not on those four topics. Cliffs Notes do have notes on Oedipus the King anyway, they probably do on some of the other literature as well. And you'll definitely be able to find notes SOMEWHERE on the epics.

Does anyone else think Prometheus Bound is the most boring play in the universe? Ohhhhh my godddd.........

Only 6 in my class ;) It's great.

I'm doing Alexander, Roman Emperors, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, Medea, Oedipus Rex, The Frogs(maybe) and Roman Art and architecture in class, and i'm doing The Peloponnesian war myself. I'll have quite the choice :D .....I really love the subject, it's fantastic. My dad had a friend who had some exam papers too, so i'm all set....apart from having to do Thucydides myself which is a bit dodgy! at least i have stuff to fall back on...anyone with any advice pass it on :)

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭[RS] Finch*

yeah they dont print past papers for classics, altho my teacher copied the last 4/5 years of them for us, and if your studying the oddysey/aeneid they are very broad course, you got alot to learn! i prefer the greek drama/ alexander/architecture course

im hoping to do classics+english+psychology in UCD, its a great subject and dead easy if ur interested in it, im so glad i didnt choose business that fatefull day in 1st year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

im doing the pelopenessian war, alexander, roman art and architecture and some play related topics too

i think the past papers are on the website but they dont go back too far afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I have the papers from 1993 - 2003. If I get to a scanner anytime soon I'll post them.
    I like Classics, it's pretty simple and in the same kind of studying area as History and English. Doing Alex, Epics, Drama & Roman Art and Architecture.

Thanks Cannibal, I only have 2001-2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I love classics! we`re doing

Alexander
    Epics Aeneid and Odyssey
    Medea,Oedipus the King and Prometheus Bound
    Art and Architecture

Dont wate time doing intro or conclusions in essays, just delve into the question.

Why no intro or conclusion?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think Doctor Evil's saying don't bother with intro and conclusion cos they waste time... I had my Classics mock today and totally screwed up the timing, I was really annoyed cos its one of my better subjects! You basically have 22 and a half minutes per essay, so that doesn't leave much time for padding it out with waffle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭[RS] Finch*

yeah i had classics today as well thanks god it was my last exam, im such an idiot though i studied propertius so much and he didnt even come up, doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Joe-Pie wrote:
    TP almost never comes up.
    Town planning comes up every year without fail man! i'm doing alex, odyssey, aeneid, medea, prom. bound, oedipus rex, in class we do roman a & a, town planning and art.
    i'm gonna jettison oedipus and roman a&a for the leaving to a certain extent cause you don't need them, strictly speaking.
    i have past papers from 94(i think) to 2004 so if anyone wants an individual year or question pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rebeccas

im doing it.... this year for the exam... my teacher is brillant we have the course dfone since halloween:D but now its all revison

Alexander
    Art and Archtictire
    Aneid
    jason and media
    Odipus

Their my topics their easy enough... my notes on them are simple didnt even have to read the book or anthiny

Advertisement