Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free 2mb access for me .....

Options
  • 01-05-2002 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

...... well in work any way !

We are after getting a crowd in today to set our place up with wireless internet access.

On a trial to see if we want to get it, they only wanted one pc set up so as im the Network admin i volunteered ! Ha ....sweet !

All they put in was a reciever/transmitter the size of a cereal box on the roof and ran some cat 5 to the comms room. You have to be within line of sight from there antenna though.

The guy installing said as far as he knows its a 3rd the price of an eircom leased line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Who are the people ?

How much is it ?

Why don't you run several people through it to test it properly...

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Probably 802.11b or even 802.11
    Anymore info?
    What are the pings like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

for games i imagine a lot of packet loss ?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

802.11b has no packetloss & pings very similar to ethernet (eg, pings of 1-5ms tops over a connection) when it has a decent working signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

802.11b has no packet loss ? Wow, they should rethink all the protocols then to make transmission more efficient since packets never get lost or dropped. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

for games i imagine a lot of packet loss ??

well thats probably satellite internet you're thinking of, which does indeed have an awful lot of latency and is only really useful for downloading stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by yellum
    802.11b has no packet loss ? Wow, they should rethink all the protocols then to make transmission more efficient since packets never get lost or dropped. :rolleyes:
    Relativly speaking. I should have phrased it differently now that i read it again, but nevermind. 802.11b suffers no more packetloss than a normal ethernet network when it has a good signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by yellum
    Most comms hardware is designed to minimize packet loss and corruption, or at least hide it from upper layers like the IP stack. Not eliminate mind, but keep it to a rare occurrence. TCP performance sucks when packets go totally AWOL.

Some people set their ethernet switches to half duplex operation just so they have collision detection, and thus some indication of packets being dropped. Unless the switch & NIC support the flow control standard properly, an overloaded switch port in full duplex mode will simply drop packets without a trace. TCP will figure out what's happening over the course of a sizeable transfer, and back off the rate until everyone's happy (some TCP implementations start out slow and work up instead), but for small transfers the timeouts are a killer.

802.11b hardware will automatically sacrifice link speed for reliability, and as a broadcast medium it has collision detection so at a low level it knows when it needs to try again. It's a lot like good old 10Base2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bats

here, Darth, is it Leap Broadband (www.leap.ie) putting that equipment in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Eh , yeah i think so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

How much bandwith have you managed out of it so far on your "tests" ?

They changed what they wanted me to test , im on 512 not 2mb, Im in a meeting with them tomorrow to discuss if we are interested and they are offering to put it up to 1mb and that is at a cost 1/3 that of eircons (i think it was 1/3 ... i will know for defo tomorrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by Darth Homer
    They changed what they wanted me to test , im on 512 not 2mb, Im in a meeting with them tomorrow to discuss if we are interested and they are offering to put it up to 1mb and that is at a cost 1/3 that of eircons (i think it was 1/3 ... i will know for defo tomorrow)

That a third of the cost of their DSL or leased lines ? If it's the leased lines.. it's not particularly impressive really.

I got onto them before for my last company. Wasn't particularly impressed with them.

Gav

Yes Eircons leased line ... anyone know off hand how much a 512 Business DSL line costs (no cap, obviously) ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Darth Homer
    Yes Eircons leased line ... anyone know off hand how much a 512 Business DSL line costs (no cap, obviously) ???
    No such beast from Eircom. 90 euro from ESAT for 512/256. Eircom's only uncapped service is 169 euro a month for 1Mbit/256k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

just looked at their site and i have to say its pretty unimpressive with its lack of information on services and prices.

any know anything??

Advertisement