Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Programming...

Options
  • 01-05-2002 9:52pm

I'm comfortable with 2 languages, Java and C++...hope to use the java in future mainly for the net and then C++ for the applications on the computer.

Does anyone know of any good links on C++ windows programming? I've looked through different sites on the topic and nothing seems to be much good. Also, is C/C++ the main language for windows or would I be better off using Visual Basic to code for windows (simple windowed applications)?

Cheers for any help, I'm kinda at a rut at the mo, with respect to my programming, you know the stage where you do some things and then run out of ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If you are doing anything serious with windows, you use C++ MFC stuff. If it's smaller, give VB a go, haven't used it myself but everyone says it's piss easy.

www.codeproject.com is a good site for MFC programming.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

For better or for worse, Windows programming will rapidly become .NET dominated in the mainstream market.

.NET supports C++, but very awkwardly (apparently). You may be better off looking at C# or VB.NET.

Between these, you may prefer C# because of its similarities to Java.

You dont *have* to go the .NET path, but its probably not a bad idea. Most opinions I've heard expect that .NET and Java/J2EE will effectively become the only two major players, with .NET being mostly C#, VB.NET and ASP.NET based.

jc

I thought that about .NET alright, I've read about it and thought that maybe Microsoft will try to force that to be the main one.

Is the development kit for .NET expensive?

That would be the main block for learning .NET, the development kit.

cheers for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

BOLLOCKS TO THAT

.NET my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

You can still write normal C++ with .NET you do not have to go the .NET managed way.

Also bonkey your right C# and VB.NET and ASP.NET will be the biggies on the .NET platform. C# is a sweet lang and not to bad to learn.

Also dont forget there will be Perl,Cobol,PHP,Phyton and loads of other Langs on the .NET side of things and there is a FreeBSD version of the .NET Framework so the multiplat form side of .NET is happening.

kayos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by kayos
    there is a FreeBSD version of the .NET Framework so the multiplat form side of .NET is happening.

The FreeBSD implementation of .NET, from what I've heard, will be very limited. A lot of people are commenting about how it is a pure "E3" strategy by MS - allow people to start using .NET, on various platforms, and then make changes over time requiring them to move to Windows. I mean - the Windows Form and Web Form stuff will only be available on Windows, so at best, BSD will only serve for some back-end or non-UI code.

C# is pretty nice. I'm still getting used to some of the weirdness in it (like boolean values not equating to 1 and 0), but overall its pretty clean.
    Originally posted by Moonhawk
    Is the development kit for .NET expensive?

That would be the main block for learning .NET, the development kit.

The actual framework, which includes the compilers, is free from MS. You can d/l it from their site. However, realistically, you'll find it so much easier to work if you have something like Visual Studio .NET. This is probably quite expensive, although you may be able to get an "educational copy" quite cheaply if you're a student.

jc

Advertisement