Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop, need info

• 03-06-2001 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I know this guy who screwed his laptop by plugging in the power cable after the laptop was switched on and screwed it.

He blew the motherboard and the chip as best we can tell.

Was wondering if I could get some help in getting replacements. I might buy it off him and don't have top much money, need not cheep parts but well reduced if possible.

It's a Dell latetud model ..... sh*t can't remember. well, it's a good 1. hehe, his got a 56k isdn ready glod card, mmmm nice.

Anyways, whats do u guys think, and can anyone help me out with parts or anything?

Snowball.

Another sign in name ... he ... whats new.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Hmm that really shouldn't happen at all in the first place, if it's new then bring it back to Dell.

Anyway regardless of that laptop spares aren't the most plentiful in the world... chip should be relatively easy enough to replace but iirc motherboards i'm sure ain't standard items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭[fist]Snowball

not sure why he can't bring it back. Anyways he is a m8 of a m8 of a m8. if I can get the lap off him I'll try and fix it. but gonna need the parts.

About the part of how he messed it up, well I know about PC's noy lap's, and thats what I was told *shrug*, I'll just be happy to get it.

Snowball.

Another sign in name ... he ... whats new.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

If you have to fork out for a new motherboard for the laptop, make sure he gives it to you for nuthin' !
    Laptop part and especially motherboards will cost you an arm and a leg (not to mention your firstborn)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

You didn't mention the spec of the laptop. It depends entirely on how old it is.

Firstly, laptop parts are expensive.

Secondly, they're quite difficult to get a hold of.

Thirdly, it's not worth the time, energy and money repairing a laptop when you can buy a perfectly good one these days for well under a grand.

Oh, did I forget to mention Dell suck? smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭RiCo

You Can Not blow a Laptop by plugging it in after its been switched on... unless u used the wrong power supply, or reversed the voltage.
    If the power supply surged then u can get the laptop replaced under warranty. If out of warranty u still have a case... don't let it lie they cost a packet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

blew the motherboard.. bad scene.
    these days the only things you can really replace on a laptop are keyboards, trackpads, processors, ram and cdroms etc.
    if its part of the motherboard, you are generally looking at a chassis replacement.
    t least thats with gateway models. im pretty sure that most comapanies go this route. its far to expensive to replace motherboards for laptops as the are pretty much built in.
    how old is the laptop?
    and rico is right, how the fluck do you blow a system board anyway? you plug it into some dod*** adapter or something?

Advertisement