Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not reading Floppy drive

• 02-05-2002 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

I recently installed a new motherboard to upgrade to a Pentium III 700 chip. A tyan trinity 400, its a slot1 and socket 370 board. When I try and access the floppy drive I can hear it moving and trying to read the disc but it is saying there is no disk in the drive, the light comes on and works as usual. I have put in all the cables correctly, putting the red line to the 1. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Take the cable back off , ensure you havent bent any pins.

It has power, so it can only be

1. Motherbord faulty
    2. Cable (bad or not in correctly)
    3. The drive is bad
    4. Bad diskette? try more than 1
    5. Software problem (boot from a boot floppy to establish if it is O/S related
    6. Bios settings

You can probably use subsitution of known good parts to work out which it is.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Question.. did you just whack a new mobo into a windows machine and boot it up? Or did you start from scratch and build the OS around that mobo? In other words did you reinstall windows after that mobo was put in? if you just stuck it in windows may be trying to use an old floppy controller driver! Advise removing the floppy controller in windows and also remove pci bus, reboot... it will detect everything in the system again pretty much and should be ok if thats what it is... but make sure you install the mobo chipset drivers etc that came with the board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

Cheers for the help.
    The motherboard is brand new so I hope its not faulty, have tried numerous disks and have checked it in the bios and tried booting from it. I wiped the hard disk and have started from scratch using all types of OS's, 98/ME/XP and no joy. I have managed to get a hold of another floppy drive so I'll try that tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Are both ends of the floppy drive cable in the right way round? It's pretty easy to get it wrong, even when the plugs are keyed. If both plugs are right-way-up, or both are upside-down, it'll work, otherwise, it won't. It won't break anything to try it...

Otherwise, the lever that moves the "disk in drive" switch (or the switch itself) is broken/disconnected/something-like-that...

Gadget

Advertisement