Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My computer is whining.

• 04-06-2001 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

One of my machines I switched it on this morning and after a while (random) the screen flickers for a split second and then the machine freezes and I hear a high pitched whine coming from the machine. I think the noise is coming from the MB or the processor?

Anyone know what this would be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Could be constapated.. give it some weetabix.. maby..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Things that can scream:

Monitor - this is obvious to tell

CPU fan (common)
    Vid card fan (if you have one - happened to me)
    Cd rom (rare)
    HDD (rare)
    (Stuff with fans usually)

Open up the system pull things out to narrow it down.
    Then you can try cleaning the dust or if you dont want to get your hands dirty get a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

It could be a capacitor blown on the motherboard... I'm not sure, but have a good look at it and see if anything seems damaged. Also try reseating everything, and removing all non-essential items, see does it boot up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

sounds like fan stuck. Cpu may be dying from heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

CPU doesn't have a fan, just heatsink (it's a PIII 300).

I have reseated the chip + memory and it seems to be up longer then normal. :/

btw. It does actually boot just randomly hangs (can be 3 seconds into boot or 20 minutes after machine is running).

thx for the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

You have a Pentium III 300MHz? And you're using a passive Heatsink on your CPU? You should really be using an Active heatsink.

The best thing to do is to take off your case, turn the machine on, and stick your head inside to try and localise the noise. As EvilGeorge stated the majority of funny noises out of a machine can be narrowed down to rogue fans and dodgy HDDs.

The hanging sounds like a componant overheating; but the high pitched whine could be a stuck fan or a leaking capacitor. The leaking capacitor being bad, the stuck fan being a pain in the ass but fairly easy to repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well there is a fan (the main one) and plastic tubing which links to the fan points at the processor. Just not a fan on the chip.

The sound is defo coming either from the board or the processor as I replaced all the cards in the machine and the sound isn't coming from the drives and fan (that I'm sure). :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

it would indeed, I was thinking more about the random reboots when I mentioned it. Kegser's description is more accurate, it might be a leaking capacitor. It is possible for other electronic components to resonate also, and make a whining noise. My machine used to make a very faint whining sound when playing 3d games. I reckoned in the end it was the power circuitry on the motherboard, or on the graphics card.
    Anyway hobbes, best thing to do is eliminate either the board or the processor. I wouldn't rule out either being at fault yet, as I have heard of cpu's making wierd noises also.

Advertisement