Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long would it take for flat rate to be up and running.

Options
  • 02-05-2002 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

In relation to esat saying flat rate by the end of the year, how long should it take them to get a service running since they haven't applied to provide one yet? Is it not the whole merry go round of negotiating with eircom, collapse , intervention etc. which seems to take forever?
    Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If it was agreed, and based on england, 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Badly phrased, sorry. I know how long it should take re setting up a number etc, I meant the preamble of applying, negotiations etc. Nobody has applied for a licence but I suppose I was wondering does that process take long, and then the pleasure of Eircom and probable delaying tactics. However I love no, I like esat today for making the adsl service I will never have uncapped. It gives a glimmer of hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

It took 3 years in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

what happened to eircom's brief and somewhat hidden hope for isdn flat rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by vampyre
    In relation to esat saying flat rate by the end of the year......

When did they say this? It's news to me.

To be honest, they can say there will be flat-rate by the end of the year till the cows come home but there won't be unless Eircom says there will. Eircom hold all the cards here, as they do with the whole internet situation in this country.

Unless, that is, Esat have come to some sort of arrangement/agreement with Eircom regarding FRIACO and are keeping it hush hush for the time being. Somehow, given recent comments from Esat detailing Eircom's refusal to offer this service and holding up/stalling/completely stopping discussions on FRIACO, I don't this is true.

I'll believe it when I'm surfing 24/7 for 15-20 euro a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

As I have said before I'm guilty for not getting reports out quickly enough, but I'm going on the record here saying that IrelandOffline has actually become a full time occupation for me! So this info will become official in the future but I feel it's relevant here right now, especially with the long weekend ahead......

We met with Aidan Hodson of the DoPE to discuss these matters today. IOFFL are aware that the Italian regulator has used the exisitng EU directives to mandate flat rate and that their is no direct mention of flat rate in the new directives to be transposed (at the latest) by July 2003. So naturally we (and of course all our members!) are concerned at the apparent limbo we find ourselves in.

However we are aware of an operator close to requesting FRIACO here and of an ISP ready to use it. So in the short term it is important that any moves by an operator to release FRIACO on the Irish market is given perhaps more than a "watching brief" by the ODTR. Come July 2003 (I know, I know 15 months :( ) the operators case will be strengthened by the transposition of the new EU directives which will clarify the current ones and once and for all sort out the special network versus interconnect identity of FRIACO.

6 years ago with the first directives FRIACO was special network access, it was not percieved to be interconnect as it was not in use (I know - less than visionary) but that is just what happened. Now with the proliferation of FRIACO in Europe I am confident the new legislation will address this and specify provisions for truly capacity based costing opposed to metered costing.

Like I said I will have a fully cleared report on today's meeting shortly, remember though with the bank holiday it's likely to be the middle of week next week.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by Dangger
    IrelandOffline has actually become a full time occupation for me!

David
    I really do appreciate this. Not many people would be willing to put as much effort as you do into it.

Remind me to buy you a pint after the AGM.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Maybe we should all chip in a tenner and buy them a car or something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by kamobe
    Maybe we should all chip in a tenner and buy them a car or something ;)

or an internet connection.... wait, we can't afford it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement