Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Exchange rate it.

Options
  • 02-05-2002 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

How good is it. What are its pros and cons? Would it be worth getting for a small business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

i reckon so.. i have worked in 2 companies than run it and its usually stable

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=50263&goto=newpost

This could do with a poll.. make it easier..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

No problems, been running 5.5 for a few years without any major drama's. Also have 2000 in a test environment and again, hasn't caused us any problems. Getting it to work with AV and backup software can be a bit of a black art, but once you've got it correct it's stable.

If you're after any specifics, post them here or PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Been a network admin for awhile now and 5.5 hasnt given me any probs, very stable and once you get your head around its features it isnt that hard to administer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

For a peaceful life and lower costs, use a net gateway and either direct pop mail retrieval from your isp/host or use a linux based 'all in the one box' solution.

You will get more value for money and not have to put up with the restruictions of exchange,

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi.

I have adminned both MS Exchange, and Lotus Notes.

I'd say go for exchange, as long as your using other MS solutions eg. NT or 2000 server etc.

If your no expert in installing it, you can easily get a company to install it for you and configure in a mailsweeper for smpt solution, to filter the mail that comnes in (for viruses, profanity, unwanted attachments etc) if you like.

Then you just admin it yourself! Easily done

X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    For a peaceful life and lower costs, use a net gateway and either direct pop mail retrieval from your isp/host or use a linux based 'all in the one box' solution.

You will get more value for money and not have to put up with the restruictions of exchange,

Stephen

Lotus notes and ,I believe Exchange, have a lot of support for setting up databases/calendars/notifications stuff like that. They offer a lot more than just a smtp server.

Having said that, I'm sure it would be easy enough to get that sort of functionality going on a *nix machine using opensource software.

Gav

Advertisement