Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network data utility?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Thanks, I'll have a gander at that.

The printer prob is still ongoing frown.gif but at least it highlighted the need for a testing machine in here (actually , it really highlighted the need for an NT and a 2K machine in here!, very difficult troubleshooting a win2000 problem when you've never even used the thing!)

I'll let you know if I find out what it is (only 3 weeks left before I move out of this place! Yaaaaaay!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

SMS should cover all that.

yeah, I was looking at SMS, but as far as I can tell, it only goes as far as IP/net address and computer name and traffic to and from that location.
    (which is useful all the same).

I was just being lazy and wondering if there was a way of getting the rest of the info without having to go from PC to PC. In particular for retrieving licensing information.

the hardware specs would be handy as the company want to make all the machines uniform, and make a few exceptions for the people that really need the extra space/ram etc.

LanDesk looks good but I'd like to compare it to others before I start looking into it fully.

That Compaq one looks almost perfect. Just looking at the LC version. (and I'm unsure whether it is *only* usable on a compaq driven networ or if it would work on another server.)

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

hrm...I think CA's Unicenter does that kind of thing (software stats collection over a large network); but knowing them its probably several grand per license smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    hrm...I think CA's Unicenter does that kind of thing (software stats collection over a large network); but knowing them its probably several grand per license smile.gif</font>

ye, i think your right. I'd forgooten about that. Your right on the licensing though smile.gif

• Advertisement

Me again!

Sorry about this but I'll cut back on the questions (honest!)

Is there a utility or built in process that will automatically collect and store all user data for reports etc.

By data I mean:
    IP address
    Licenses installed
    OS
    Computer name
    HD capacity (used and total)
    RAM
    Processor
    Workgroup
    Gateway
    etc.

for each person on the LAN?

Taken that the Admin would be running this, and has access to run it from the server. Either NT4.0 server or Win2k.

Advertisement