Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom calling "registered" interested users

Options
  • 02-05-2002 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

This morning I got a call from Eircom. They said I had registered an interest in ADSL and they were wondering if I would like to order. They said actual rollout will begin around the 14th May.

I informed them that the price was too high, especially with a cap.

For me, if there were no cap then I would consider that price, but I thought that the price was a little high anyway for that service.

They said they would keep me on the list and call me back if there were any new developments.

I suspect many people will now be called. Maybe this is time when we can get a single message across ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I take it , roll out is only for the dublin area at the moment.

Well if they do get the message, hopefully by the time it reaches the rest of us it will be properly priced and without a cap OR do I live in a fantasy world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Don't be silly. It will have gone up in price, the cap will be lowered and the network will be at saturation point.

And yes, you do live in a fantasy world, but then so do Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I too registered my interest in ADSL on their web site ages ago.

I too got a phone call (yesterday) from eircom trying to sell me their wares.

But unlike you guys, this call was in relation to Hi-Speed, their ISDN product.

This was the THIRD time I'd received this sales pitch call for the ISDN product. I told the lady that and told her I wasn't interested and was interested in i-Stream.

It went something like this:
    --

"Oh are you sure you don't want ISDN??!"

"Yes, of course I'm sure. I want ADSL"

"Yes, I've heard about that. It's going to be released in the summer."

"Can you be more specific?"

"I'm afraid I can't. Are you sure you wouldn't like ISDN while you wait for ADSL?"

"NO! I want i-Stream. Good day."

"Thank you, Mr. O'Keeffe. It's been lovely talking to you. Have a nice day."

--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Batfink

Still no mention of when they are taking back the trail ?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by EvilGeorge
    Well if they do get the message, hopefully by the time it reaches the rest of us it will be properly priced and without a cap OR do I live in a fantasy world!
    This fantasy world includes Britain, France, The Netherlands, Germany, the US, Canada. Ireland has the unique distinction of living in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Got an email here thru Cork WAN system, basically a guy in Cork rang eircom asking them about their adsl product and was informed it would be available in Cork from 15th of May, here it is.

Subject: [Corkwan] Eircom ADSL

Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 17:02:00 +0100

My Father living out in blarney rang up eircom today to enquire about DSL.

To our surprise he was told that it would be available out there from the
    15th of may. So he has it ordered now and I hope to be able to bring a
    report soon

Regards

Ed Ronayne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by EvilGeorge
    I take it , roll out is only for the dublin area at the moment.

No, several locations aroudn the country including limerick and cork should see ADSL relatively close to its offical release date as esat allready have access to these exchanges. IT might be just 2 or 3 and increase over the summer months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

I was called the evening of May 2nd by Eircom regarding my 'expression of interest' from last fall sometime.

The nice lady told me that rollout would start May 14th and that I could be put on a list to be one of the first in my neighbourhood to have broadband (i'm in Blackrock).

I played ignorant, got the prices of installation, modem and montly rental which are the same ones mentioned on this board. She didn't mention a cap and played stupid when I asked about it.

I expressed horror over the prices and then went on a rant telling her that between Eircom and Ireland's corrupt government (worst in europe) they were doing more damage to Ireland's potential than she could ever know. I think I got her pretty angry given my obvious foreign accent.

Other than making me feel better, I don't think I accomplished much.....

For comparason, 3 MB/sec no cap Cable or DSL in Toronto costs €28/month, no installation, no modem rental, and as many users in your house as you want.

Canadian, eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Still no mention of when they are taking back the trail ??
    May 14th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

They've asked if I would like to keep it or not.
    On May 13th if I don't sign up I'll be disconnected.
    I get the connection for free and the modem for free.
    I'm gonna hold onto it. Hopefully the price will come down over the next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Bard
    "I'm afraid I can't. Are you sure you wouldn't like ISDN while you wait for ADSL?"
    lol, are you sure you don't want to pay a hundred quid for us to install ISDN, then another hundred quid to downgrade to a normal line, then another 475 euro to install the ADSL equipment?
    Cheeky bas*ards!
    Installation costs are a joke tbh.
    Looks like the battle for affordable broadband is a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Its a safe assumption that they will roll out DSL near the major population centres such as Cork and Dublin etc, anywhere with hundreds of thousands first (or in Dublin's case 10 million-(what it seems like with the traffic) first and then perhaps move on to the smaller regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

call me mad but if ADSL was released in waterford, I'd probably buy their low-end service..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Is that eircoms engineers aparently arnt capable of doing such complicated work like upgrading the exchanges accross the country.Or could it be that eircom only has five engineers all based in dublin who are capable of doing this kind of work.Are they trieing to tell us that eircom can only afford the needed equipment one exchange at a time.I certainly hope they arent planning to do one exchange then use the money from its new customers to pay for the next one as this would take forever to bring broadband to the masses especialy considering the take up rate would be quite low at their present prices.

Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Nuphor

Is that eircoms engineers aparently arnt capable of doing such complicated work like upgrading the exchanges accross the country.Or could it be that eircom only has five engineers all based in dublin who are capable of doing this kind of work.Are they trieing to tell us that eircom can only afford the needed equipment one exchange at a time.

From what I've been told from a very reliable source is that most of the exchanges throughout the country have already been upgraded to support ADSL; and it's been that way for the past 4 months folks.

I can't reveal who he/she is for fear of being slain, but the fact of the matter is that Eircom have already upgraded most major exchanges to support DSL. Waterford, where I live, is one of them.

I'm not quite sure why they're waiting to roll it out in locations that already have support, but then again, this is Eircom we're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Tizlox
    call me mad but if ADSL was released in waterford, I'd probably buy their low-end service..

If it works out cheaper than your normal internet-incurred phone bills then your not mad. It makes financial sense.

Ive seen people saying "OMG OMG EIRCOMS OFFER IS A COMPLETE RIP-OFF NO WAY IM GETTING IT". I agree 100% that the price is a complete rip off, but please look at it logically. If your spending MORE than 107 euro per month on internet phone calles, why would you give eircom more money than you have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

well said dustaz...my average is about €150, so it'd be better on me to be able to stay on 24/7 for 2/3 of that price..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by bricks
    They've asked if I would like to keep it or not.
    On May 13th if I don't sign up I'll be disconnected.
    I get the connection for free and the modem for free.
    I'm gonna hold onto it. Hopefully the price will come down over the next year.
    They take the modem back and will give it back to you when you signup for the service as far as I know, at least that's what happened to me and some mates of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by Bard

I too got a phone call (yesterday) from eircom trying to sell me their wares.
    But unlike you guys, this call was in relation to Hi-Speed, their ISDN product.

I got a phone call from 'em today, trying to flog me highspeed. I started quoting her (Lisa, nice girl) all the info I had on why I shouldn't get hi-speed, and told her that if I wanted one thing it was flat rate, and then started quoting more facts... Phone call lasted about 4 mintes, and I reckon she spoke for about 30 seconds. :)

She didn't really have any comeback for me, I told her to pass it on to her boss, and she said that she would....

Tim

P.S. apologies for dragging this thread from the dead...

Advertisement