Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access Password (Can It Be Bypassed?)

• 02-05-2002 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

G'day
    Client of mine found herself in a very strange situation today.
    She went to access her 2 Access Database files and low and behold the two files needed a password to open them. She reckons and I believe her that she by no means password protected them. Her machine is standalone, so its not anyone messing over a network. Shes the only one that works in her office and always locks it when she pops out for a few minutes.
    Now the question is now that here two files are passworded, How can she access the data?
    Is there a way she can find out the password?
    Is there a way she can delete the password even, without loss of data?
    Also If she didn't password the files, Who did ? Hack attack? Possible? I asked myself this.... who would bother hacking into a machine and then passwording a couple of files?, Would He/She/Idiot just be better off deleting them.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Have a look at this program: http://www.5star-shareware.com/Business/MS-OfficeAdd-Ins/access-passkey.html

It should do the trick ;)

aw crap its only a demo and just gives you the first 2 letters of the password, I'll have a look for more or a reg hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

Looks Good
    You Champion

Thanks

Tom

No Prob. I just hope it works now, if not tell me :d

• Advertisement

Nah didn't work!!!
    But would have, The datbases were corrupt, I tried the password program thingie and it gave me unusual characters and said prosible reasons for this were a corrupt database, It then led me to a repair database program which told me the database was locked, which led me to an vb unlocking program, which led me back to to a password program, which led me back to........
    so i said feic this here's yere bill, I can do no more, you'll just have to remember your clients!
    They said thanks for trying. I said no problem.

Thank for the help

Tom

aw what a pitty, I can always try fixing the database if you want, but of course i will understand if you don't want me to, the info in it is confidential.

Regards,
    Donal

Sound for the offer Donal,
    But i think she's already got into making a new one.

Thanks Again

Appreciated it

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

The datbases were corrupt, I tried the password program thingie and it gave me unusual characters and said prosible reasons for this were a corrupt database, It then led me to a repair database
    Don't worry about the garbage passwords, I got a few of them aswell... you just need to find the right program that suits the encoded format of the dba.
    www.crimsoncrocodile.com <-- the one there worked nicely though.
    But oh well, it's too late for that eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

sometimes no password might have been set, but the db file itself has probably been corrupted somehow (continous saving/loading from a dodgy floppy disk).. ive seen it happen once or twice with excel files, one time with my own data for work which was very annoying to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

point her to www.BackUpImportantDataYouMong.com if she complains of 404, there is no hope :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

yeah got a few of them down by satellite over the weekend.. just browsing through the crap that got pushed and saw these things.. one for access, excel and one for all of office it looks like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

TMCD:
    When it says the DB file is locked it means u dont have access that u have it open and are attempting to ope exclusively when its open already. Open access Open the file using exclusive privelages and then repair. Otherwise copy the DB onto a different partition there should be an MDF file hanging around in the same location as the original DB. Delete that then open exclusively. Then repair if needed doubtful though. That should work if not just replace the DB that was backed up on other partition / folder.

Advertisement