Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of ADSL Trial announced

Options
  • 02-05-2002 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I'll be saying bye bye to ADSL on 14th May.
    Dear Customer,

I am pleased to inform you that eircom i-stream will be officially
    launched on Tuesday May 14th. This means that the trial period will close
    over the coming weeks. As a special offer, the normal connection fee and the
    cost of the equipment will be waived, if you wish to keep the eircom
    i-stream service you have been trialing. (Please see the attached offer
    letter for details)

If you would like to keep your eircom i-stream service, we will need
    to know by Monday May 13th, at 5:30 p.m. If we have not heard from you by
    that time, we will assume that you do not wish to start paying for this
    service and will discontinue the service on Tuesday 14th May.

To indicate your desire to keep eircom i-stream on a commercial
    basis, please fill in the attached reply form and fax it for my attention to
    Fax No: 01-701-2938, or email the same details to ppatterson@eircom.ie

Yours sincerely,

Patrick Patterson,
    ADSL Marketing and Planning
    eircom Ireland
    Feck it to hell anyway, I thought they *might* have forgotten about us triallists :D

viking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 piranhagirl

yep, ill be so sorry to see it go...can;t imagine going back to 33k at best!!
    maybe Isdn would be an idea?!

so long free internet!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

is there no hope for flat rate isdn? :o

nope, but they brought down their prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Batfink

Thats the worst news I've heard all week, I suppose I'll have to down load as much as possible in the mean time , Does anybody acutally know anyone who is on the trial who is going to keep it ?? :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by viking

As a special offer, the normal connection fee and the
    cost of the equipment will be waived, if you wish to keep the eircom
    i-stream service you have been trialing.

Just thinking aloud...

What would happen if you decided to stay with them, for say 6 or so months..and Esat launched their res package. Could you still use your existing hardware/connection or would eircom take it back?

EDIT: Was that an email, or a letter you got Viking? I haven't heard anything yet.

its a 1 year contract i think...and i dont see that it would be a problem unless esat said u had to get their technology.

im was half thinking of keeping it, havent decided yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Batfink

Is it in writting anywhere that it is a one year contract ? can you possible sign up for a month or so when you might need to use it ?

nope...

Got Leaving Cert coming up, wonder if eircom would let me cancel DSL connection until after the exams (to avoid distractions y'know) but let me keep the equipment? If I begged like? :]

• Advertisement

good question...not sure...part of the whole deal is that u come off the trial and dont pay the connection fee or equipment. so i dunno if they would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Was that an email, or a letter you got Viking? I haven't heard anything yet.

It was an email that came in at 11.30pm last night (Thurs). Eircom must have been working late...

Here are the attachments that came with the email:
    Dear Customer,

You have been taking part in our eircom i-stream trial, testing one of the most exciting new technologies to emerge in recent years, ADSL Internet access. We hope that you have enjoyed using this new technology and thank you sincerely for your interest and participation - your support has been vital. We have learnt a great deal from these trials, lessons that have been invaluable in the development of our new range of eircom i-stream products.

I am pleased to inform you that eircom i-stream will be officially launched on May 14th as part of our fast Internet access product portfolio. This means that the trial period will close over the coming weeks.

Our records show you are trialing the product that will be launched as eircom i-stream solo. This product is for a single user on a single PC. It allows speeds of up to 512kbps downstream and 128kbps upstream. (Please see the attached product specification sheet)

This product will cost € 107.69 inc. VAT (€ 89.00 ex. VAT) per month. As a special offer to those who have been testing this service, the normal connection fee of € 199.65 inc. VAT (€ 165 ex. VAT) and the cost of the equipment from € 175.45 inc. VAT (€ 145.00 ex. VAT) will be waived, if you wish to keep this service, and start paying for it on a commercial basis.

If you wish to keep this service, we will need to know by Monday May 13th, by 5:30 p.m. at the latest. If we have not heard from you by that time we will assume you do not wish to start paying for this service and will discontinue the service on Tuesday 14th May.

To indicate your desire to keep this product on a commercial basis, please sign the enclosed reply form and fax it for my attention to 01-701-2938, or email the same details to ppatterson@eircom.ie.

I am obliged to inform you that we have a legal requirement to take all customers “off service” for a period of 24 hours after the launch date of May 14th. Customers will experience this downtime between midnight on Saturday 18th May and midnight on Sunday 19th May. I am also obliged to inform you that ADSL services will be available from other telecommunication service providers. Customers may cease their current eircom i-stream service and pursue an ADSL connection with another service provider, should they wish to do so.

If you decide not to continue with your eircom i-stream service commercially, you must follow the “Revert to dial-up instructions” attached with this letter. This will uninstall your eircom i-stream service, and return you to an eircom.Net dial up account. Once you revert to dial-up you will experience normal PSTN download speeds, and speed of e-mail transmission. This is likely to be considerably slower than the speeds experienced on the eircom i-stream trial. [You better believe it - viking]

We are planning to retrieve the equipment issued to you to enable this trial service, if you are not going to avail of the offer above. A representative will contact you again over the coming weeks to make these arrangements.

Thank you in advance for your co-operation
    Yours sincerely,

Patrick Patterson

ADSL Marketing and Planning
    eircom Ireland
    2nd attachment is a product spec of i-stream solo.

3rd attachment is a reply form for those on the trial wishing to continue with ADSL

4th attachment is a set of instructions on how to revert to Dial up

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

<waves hand>

"This is not the service you are seeking."

Just checked my eircom.net mail account for the first time and found 3 messages from eircon about downtimes & the end of trial email.
    I am also obliged to inform you that ADSL services will be available from other telecommunication service providers.

How long would it be before Esat are able to offer it to me? I'd rather pay them than eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by viking

It was an email that came in at 11.30pm last night (Thurs). Eircom must have been working late...

Hmm - still no email from them. I wonder did they forget about me?? That'd be terrible.. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

:D:D:D i still got my dsl til september :D:D:D

how?

nah, im in ennis and we get to keep it til september :D
    got in feb for 6mnths. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i got that email today and as a test i cut the dsl connection and put the 56k modem back on for a few hours. everyone in the house went mad and now they are willing to pay. i might drill a hole in my wall to the neighbours and network their pc and ask them to pay half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by PiE
    Got Leaving Cert coming up, wonder if eircom would let me cancel DSL connection until after the exams (to avoid distractions y'know) but let me keep the equipment? If I begged like? :]
    Actually in a way yes, I got disconnected from trial back in September, I rang them up a couple of days ago and they said I would get the modem I had back they gave me for the duration of the trial and I wouldn't have to pay installation etc., just the monthly fee whenever I chose to go back on the service.

• Advertisement

so,...
    if i get a free installation & modem if i choose to connect to the service, how much would i be paying a year with the speculated rates??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by conZ
    so,...
    if i get a free installation & modem if i choose to connect to the service, how much would i be paying a year with the speculated rates??
    Enough to buy a new computer or a 32' flat widescreen TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Dont moan ,
    Your after getting free dsl for the past 6 months.

*THINK OF THE HPB'S , OH WHY WONT YOU THINK OF THE HPB'S !

You'll still be a HPB with i-Stream anyway. Well... not as HP as 56k but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

an average ping of 60 isnt quite hpb pie

Advertisement