Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax offices

Options
  • 03-05-2002 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to obtain a driving licence from a tax office other than the one in your own county?

The reason I ask is that Wicklow has a 8 week delay in issuing licences. Whats the story else where?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It takes 2-3 weeks in Kilkenny. For a provisional anyway, i presume its the same for a full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Post anything into Wicklow tax office and never see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Post anything into Wicklow tax office and never see it again.
    Registered post?

Yep they lost stuff I sent them. Really crappy:(

But 8 weeks for a driving licence must be the worst tax office in the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't get me started on Wicklow. Apparently they're 'undergoing reorganisation' (for the last 2 years!). It took 6 weeks for my driving licence to come back by post. That's not bad, considering it's 3 weeks if you hand it in. No, you can't get a licence in a different county (unless you have an address you can put on it). I was going in to get my prov for the bike, showed my car one for ID proof, he noticed it was listed at a Wicklow address (I now live in Dublin again), and took it off me to get it changed. 'We like to have all of your files in the one place', apparently. This is in Nutgrove. They changed it FOC and I had it posted back to me 8 days later. Pretty impressive. When I sent my licence + test cert out to wicklow I just photocopied everything and sent it out. That's probably the best idea. or registered mail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cork licensing authority managed to get me mine in three days. What was impressive about that was that my last licence had been issued in Limerick (and hence had a different addess) AND because I was going to be stuck with the licence for the next ten years, I put my new Mallow address on it (house hasn't been built yet) and got it posted to the old Mallow address.

Because of all the confusion they understandably said they'd post it out to me after checking with Limerick. Otherwise it would have taken ten minutes.

Wicklow tax office should have their asses kicked based on the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Still waiting for my licence from Dublin corp.
    It will be 6 weeks tomorrow, rang them up a few times...told me definitely this week and that the 'system' is to blame !

I dont see why they cant have a while you wait service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I went in to Dub corp yesterday, got licence, it was issued 11 days ago on may 3.
    Explanation as to why i never received it was that it was lost in a pile of envelopes...LOL

It took 7 weeks for them to process even though a notice on their wall said 3 weeks !!.
    So whoever is still waiting on their licence, my advice is to go into your local tax office and dont be fobbed off about it....it can be a longgggggg wait !! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well Nutgrove officially rock. April 25th, I applied for 2 duplicate licences, 1 full, 1 provisional. The provisional had to be applied for from the void of wicklow, and posted up to nutgrove for me. The guy at the desk informed me that it could take 3 days or 3 months because, as I said before, they couldn't get through on the phones, and wicklow were undergoing reorganisation.

I was quite peeved. I couldn't get bike insurance until my provisional arrived (long story).

As I said, Full licence duplicate arrived 8 days later :eek:

Provisional arrived yesterday, brand new, FOC, which makes it exactly 3 weeks to sort a ridiculously complicated situation. I am delighted, I will be vrooooming happily this time next week. Nutgrove, I remove my hat for you.

:)

(Funnily enough I tried to ring them yesterday re: "Where the **** is my licence??", but they close at 3.30, and then I arrive home and it's sitting on the table. Freaky, eh?)

Advertisement