Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier of Fortune 2

Options
  • 03-05-2002 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Anyone looking forward to Raven's soon to be Golden - SOF2?

Have had a blast on the old multiplayer test they recently released, but may have to upgrade my rig to totally appreciate the sequel.....

If its anything like JK2 I'm in trouble, as its a real hog and has to be played at the min. rez etc.

:(
    AMD K6-2 550,
    MSI-5169
    256mb PC133
    3D Blaster Geoforce2 MX
    SoundBlaster 128 PCI

...hence the low framerate...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭rabid

Actually, just found that www.gameplay.co.uk are advertising SOF2(preorder) for stg27.99 which = about €45.....

..not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

All these games using the Q3 engile are getting hungrier and hungrier on systems, upgrade time is comming soon!!!!!

..totally!!

I remember when Max Payne came out and the min reqs were like 400Mhz etc.. and I could just about squeeze enough outta my AMD k6-2 550 to play at a decent rez.

with JKII though it was like wading through a tub of flora in a pair of platforms during some of the levels.. had to skip a few like the old swamps cos the old framerate was going south.....

have tried the old SOFII MP test at home and seems to run ok, and they've supposedly removed alot of scripted events from the SP game, which sorta made the replayability of SOF1 pretty minimal...but will probably be screwed over during the colombian jungle levels where the detail of the trees, plants etc. goes thru the roof....

still....its supposed to be out on the 22nd May....hopefully....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Played the MP test...didn't think that there was anything new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

The k6-2 is actually 450mhz, and I used to have it, believe me you should upgrade ASAP. Took me 2 years to nag my new one out of my dad :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

frame rate aibnt a problem for me and i quite like the mp demo
    its like cs with no hax :D
    and the dm is madness :)

hey el marco,

I do have a AMD K6-2 550.....the AMD K6-3 is the 450mhz one....

:)

...checked the old MSI website....just to make sure I were'nt losing it like....

..still you are right about one thing and thats the old upgrade.

..am gonna try and build a new rig over the summer. am looking at an old Athlon XP 1600 possible or maybe will have to resort to getting a cheapo Duron 1 G since they're not gonna produce them anymore....depending on the sponds...

check www.shackstore.com for good prices on PC components...

L8R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I used to have a K6-2 500. Awfully shíte - no good at all for games - get yerself a decent athlon instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yus bin the K6 and get a cheap Duron :x

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

K6 2s and 3s come in a vareity of different speeds from somewhere like 266mhz up to 550mhz not just 450 or 550

I liked the sof 2 test, the graphics were briliiant and the weapons were impressive, I think its a greap improvement on the SOF 1 multiplayer which was very patchy to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Why u want an old xp 1600?

Get a new one, u cant get old ones cos they havnt been out long enuff. Well, u could get a second hand one but that aint exactly old.

I'm just poking fun at the fact that you say old before every noun in your posts or not. :)

:) ..your right on the old button there!

..poke away cos its pretty weird

:D

..anyone recommend a good cpu(amd)/mobo combination?

was looking at amd/epox bundles on overclockers.co.uk, seemed pretty hot...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

i gots the GHz and RAM (1.5 and 256), now i just need a 3D card worthy of it (die ATi with your Open GL hatin' grafiks)

been looking forward to SoF2 since i 1st played the original

..yeah, its looking pretty good.

downloaded the latest trailer which showed some amazing gameplay - the colombian level(s) looks excellent where you get to engage the enemy with backup and possibly even airsupport....

...definitely opening a can o'whoopass when this baby goes gold..

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

All those leaves will make my PC catch fire!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I loved SOF1 because of the no brainer action but i heard they put stealth missions in. Multi player rocks though!

Just read on www.bluesnews.com that Activision had released a new trailer for SOF2, but then decided to pull it because of a recent news bulletin on CNET, concerning "The Protect Children from Video Game Sex and Violence Act of 2002"....

Games like SOF and up-and-coming SOF2 do have shed loads of gratuitous gore and violence in them and should have a 18's cert etc. and stores should be careful about who they're selling em to......

What's everyone think of this issue?

:confused:

:eek: ..well, whatever about the issue - just had a look at the movie they pulled and lets just say whoa......sayin that it turns heads is a bit of an understatement.

..it contains some of the most brutal h-core fps action I've ever seen. 10 times better than the DNF video of old. Ravens GHOUL technology goes out on its own to produce some wicked effects that I'm sure are going to brew up a storm in the States and elsewhere.

..you can catch it at shacknews.com in the Latest comments "why video was pulled"...scroll thru and you'll find a mirror (sof2.zip). third one worked for me.

you'll prolly have to download divx5.01 also.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get yerself an nForce mobo+CPU+RAM+Heatsink combo off www.komplett.ie or shop around.
    They start at about €330. Could a be a nice simple upgrade for you, and wouldn't necessitate buying a totally new rig.

hey SyxPak,

yeah had a look at that site - pretty damn niffty. think I'll try a T-Bird 1.33 and an MSI-K7T, and possibly a new case from www.coolerguys.com.....man there are some sweet thangs on there.

..am still a tad nervous about putting a rig together though...i.e. blasting the cpu or the mobo...but will look into it when college is out.

..am gonna need it for sof2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Dont get the 1333mhz T/Bird. That chip gets far too hot. I think it has other issues aswell.

Go for a low end XP processor.

AMD are releasing their 2200+ very shortly (based on a .13 core). So if you can wait a little longer the prices will drop again!

..whoa..thats good to hear, will pay it some mind and hopefully the xp's will have dropped in $ by the time I'm ready to purchase..

thanx;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Teh new Pentium 4's on the 133 mhz core are helva fast 2.5 ghz or something or u could just overclock a P4 1.6 woody to 2.x

....sounds real nice but I'd be doing it on a budget, how'd they rate against AMD cpu's on price?

..intel seem to be better for stability and AMD better for o'cing, which I'm not too bothered about....

Advertisement