Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's bought their Gamecube ??

Options
  • 03-05-2002 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Well, has anyone yet ? Where did you go and how much did you pay ? I'm hoping to pick one up after work this evening, I hope the black ones aren't sold out (GAME in the Square).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

supplies are very limited, Ninty played about with some shops allocation of ensuring that they sell out..

If in doubt check Curries and PC World as they seem to have gotten the biggest number of consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

cos it's my girlies birthday i promised i'd take her out tonight and pick it up tomorrow

*might* give in and get it on my lunch....

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Got mine just a few minutes ago in EB Dawson Street. If anyone is getting one from here they better hurry because they're selling well and already Monkey ball has sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Originally posted by BattlingCheese
    Got mine just a few minutes ago in EB Dawson Street. If anyone is getting one from here they better hurry because they're selling well and already Monkey ball has sold out.

How much was the console and the games going for ?

Console €199 and the games €59.99-€64.99-€69.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

who ever has bought the console could you give some feed back on the controler. i loved the N64 joypad, PSx/PS2 joypad is ok and the xbox joypad is crap...

Have opened the controller box and I must say I'm well impressed. Nice size, weight and and the analog controllers seem very responsive. The shoulder buttons are chunky but depress kinda funny. Difficult to describe really.

I'm at work and have yet to try and actually play with them but first "feel" impression is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

bought mine an hour ago
    so small!!!

controller is gorgeous
    got rogue squadron, monkey ball and iss. bit disappointed with iss, very blurry textures, think i'll change it

the other two made my jaw drop

f*cking spectacular!!!

someone recommend me what to swap iss for!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

swap iss for luigi's mansion or sonic and satisfy your footie appetite by buying pro evolution soccer when that comes ouhas

anyone seen the gamecube for more than the RRP of €199???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

think i'll get luigi

incidentally, eb certainly didn't have all the launch games. i'd say a selection of maybe 10?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Lots of stores in the UK seem to be selling out their allocations - like vagga said, Currys/Dixons/PCWorld are the best places to try at the moment by the looks of things.

For those in the UK, Woolies have the best offer - two games, a controller and a console for £200.

Biggest shortage of stock seems to be Super Monkey Ball, some eejit clearly figured this wouldn't sell any copies, despite the fact that almost everyone I've spoken to either bought it with the console, or wanted it and couldn't get it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Gamesworld in the city square shopping centre waterford, are selling for €220...according to Guy Incognito.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

Had the day off, picked mine up at 09:15 in Smyths at Blanchardstown €199.99 with €60.00 worth of vouchers. Bought Super Monkey ball, Rogue Leader II and Luigi's Mansion (for my son) the 1st two are unreal, haven't opened Luigi's yet. See lot's of sleepless nights ahead with Monkey Ball, the physics of the game are so real it's sickness inducing.
    Anyway money well spent I'm, sure most would agree!! :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Yup! Got mine this morning and am taking a break now :) Got Monkey Ball And Tony Hawks with it, have Rogue Squadron on order with www.play.com (works out at about €52). Both games are brilliant, having great fun with the girlfriend racing small monkeys in balls. The controller is really impressing me, very snug and responsive. Now....how the hell do i do the grind thing on the lava thingie on the first level of Tony Hawks....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by mbroaders
    Now....how the hell do i do the grind thing on the lava thingie on the first level of Tony Hawks....

You don't. You grind the bar on the molten bucket as it pous the lava into the pit.

Anyway, GameCube. Lovely, isn't it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

B]ou don't. You grind the bar on the molten bucket as it pous the lava into the pit.[/B]

Yup, just figured out what 2 do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Shred

Well I got mine today at lunchtime:

Console = €199.99
    Rogue & Luigi = €60 each
    4MB memory card = €21.99 (8MB = €34.99)

I also bought an av/scart cable to hook it up to my stereo and then opened the box to see one inside! (I just assumed as the '64 didn't come with them - and I wasn't told either)

All at Game Grafton st.

I'd have to say I'm very impressed, the controller is excellent - really nice feel off it

Load times are virtually non-existant

Good work Nintendo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

The NGC has the smallest load times of all the "next gens" and this is absolutely amazing when you consider the media the games are stored on.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

have 2 wait till tomorrow 2 get mine.....
    hope they're not sold out......
    anywhere sold out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I got mine today with Rogue Leader. It fookin ownz but i dont have a mem card yet so every time i turn it off i have to start all over again which is annoying but it still ownz!

I got the console for €199.99 in Smyths and got vouchers with it so i got rogue leader for €45 instead of €60. I'm broke now but it was well worth.I really wanna play super monkey ball.

ohh and the controler is sooo slick and comfortable etc and the console is soo small and grovy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

A very small machine indeed - it's almost bout a quarter the size of the xbox. Any1 reach the music room stage in Luigi's mansion - hehe, i can't get that dam tune outta my head now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

I got mine in Currys today at 3pm. €320 for it, Super Monkey Ball and ISS 2 (GC on it's own is €199 there). Only dragged myself away from it now. Have to say the controller is brilliant. I thought I'd never get used to it, but after a half an hour of ISS, it was becoming second nature. The buttons are placed in just the right positions.

Have to say Super Monkey Ball is the second most addictive game ever (behind CM97/98). Monkey Race is almost as good as Mario Kart.

ISS 2 is very good but the commentary is really annoying. I know I should turn it off, but I like to have it. It makes it feel more like you're watching a match on the telly. The problem is the old one of "AND THAT'S A GOAL FOR.....finland" type announcements.

Ah well, back to the Monkey!:D

Hmm. Think I'll buy the console here as it is actually selling for €199.99, but I'll get the games from play.com. Seems to me theres a saving of €17 to be made. Its only logic.

BTW any shortages predictaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Heh, the GC looks interesting, but I'm gonna sit this launch out (first launch I've sat out since...the N64!)

I hope you all have fun - I hear Super Monkey Ball is amazing, no surprise that it's selling out. Nice to see Sega having some success there.

Basically I'm flat broke from buying the XBox ;) - so that's that really!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Regarding shortages: Nintendo claim to have sold 80% of their day one stock (500,000 units across Europe) and I wouldn't say they were far off - there weren't that many left this afternoon in Blanchardstown anyway.

They do have another 500,000 units earmarked for the "launch period" which is the next six weeks if I recall correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

Well, still messing about with my cube, monkey ball may well be my demise, best money I have spent in a long while!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I'm just playing luigi's mansion and oh boy is this one of the best games i've ever played. It's such a laugh that i don't mind it being short. Have rogue squadron 2 as well, pretty good except for the difficulty is spotting enemy ships. gonna get monkey ball tomorrow. God i love my GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

just got mine........
    monkey ball and rogue leader r excellent
    ps"hard 2 spot enemy ships in rogue leader"
    use the on ship computer :)
    ..back 2 those monkeys.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

use the on ship computer

Your medal rank goes down for using the targetting computer, though. Longer you use it for, the lower your rank.

("Use the targetting computer, Luke... It's what it's there for. Shooting at very small things.")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

there was a heap of us in a house on friday morning. (was out drinking the night before :)).

one of the lads mentioned in his hungover state that gc was out. he said he could even afford it if he spent all his wages. 2 minutes later we were in the shop buying it!!

he got 'bloody roar' with it (i wanted him to get something else :)) and then he had to go to work, so we were playing the thing all day. he txt me about half twelve last night saying he only got to play it then :D.

all shops in clonmel are selling it for €220. all games we saw were either €59.99 or €63.99.

Advertisement