Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know how i could do this ???

Options
  • 03-05-2002 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Right i need some help ....

Like i stated in a previous post we had a crowd in (leap) to set our building up for wireless internet access.

Now the transmitter/reciever is instaled and all the equipment is set up in the comms room, as its a trial we are not replacing our leased line with this (yet!) so i am trying to set my pc up as the trial pc.

What i have done is installed a second NIC into my workstation and configured it with the relevant ip's, gateway, DNS etc etc
    The NIC is installed correctly and i the LED's are flashing showing i have a connection.

Now here is my problem ... How do i set my internet connection to just use this NIC and not go through the original NIC connected to the lan ???

Our network is all win2k aswell by the way

This has been wreaking my head .... all help appreciated !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Change your default gateway to use the Leap gateway ?

It shouldn't be a problem. Do it via the gui, or using route. By the gui is probbly handiest. If you have done that and it is still not working, post up the output of your route print command.

(after editing any sensitive information)

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

It dosnt use a router, it is just a small box with an eternet jack.
    I was given all the ip's from leap.

My primary network card uses DHCP, so if i give my self a static ip on the network and use the ip address of NIC number 2 as the gateway for NIC number 1 do you think it will work ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Find out what the address of the Leap gateway is. You have a box that connects you straight into their network. They have a router on that network. All you have to do is get the IP of that router and use it as your gateway.

If you do what you proposed above, it will probably work. Just ensure that the route for your lan has a higher priority than the traffic to 0.0.0.0 which it should be default. Of course, you are still going to need to have the external card setup properly with the right routes...

Gav

btw, as I'm sure you are aware, your pc is straight on the net now. Unless leap have firewalls's on the network protecting you, you are fairly vulnerable and might want to stick some sort of firewall on your pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

How about:
    route -p add etc... Should create a route just for the nic dont need to interconnect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

Run an ipconfig /all command post it up here and tell u what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Don't do it.
    If you attach your machine to the coperate network on one network card and the other network card to the internet you are introducing a very serious hole in security.
    Someone could hack your machine and use it to gain access to the rest of the companys LAN/WAN.
    You should probably ask the network admin guys in your job what way the rest of the company is hooked up to the internet.
    This new internet connection can then be hooked up behind your existing firewall.
    You can then saftly test out the new connection on your PC or multiple PC's in your orginization.

Advertisement