Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkey magic!

Options
  • 03-05-2002 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

_1965569_monkey.jpg
    H'Angus the Monkey has been elected mayor of Hartlepool in a victory for the mascot of the town's football team.
    H'Angus, also known as Stuart Drummond, beat off opposition from the main political parties to land the £53,000-a-year job as local talisman.

The mascot's vote-winning slogan was "free bananas for schoolchildren".

More here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Free bananas, well I'd vote for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

What's gas is that Hartlepool is Peter Mandelson's main constituency - the spin doctor extraordinaire that got New Labour elected in the first place.
    I guess the free bananas were more investment than the Blair Rich Project has put into the schools over the last five years.

"You pay peanuts, you get monkeys" as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'd vote for a "Free Bananas" candidate. Bananas have been oppressed by the cruel dictator of Banan for far too long, and its time that someone did something to raise their plight.

Oh - no - wait. Thats not what it was about.....

Man - what an odd platform to get elected on.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Think of all the grateful school children, not having to eat manky black bananas that were crushed in their school bags.

I find the name H'Angus (Hang Us) slightly disturbing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Victor
    I find the name H'Angus (Hang Us) slightly disturbing though.

Perhaps a little. Read the story though
    Hartlepool's residents are famously said to have hanged a monkey during the Napoleonic wars because they thought it was a French spy.
    Something to do with him not being able to speak english.

(last election Sky kept mentioning it as they followed Peter Mandelson around)

• Advertisement
Advertisement