Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotpress... Would You Buy It??

Options
  • 03-05-2002 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Just out of interest.. would you purchase Hotpress...
    does it reflect your interests? Is it representing you and your musical talent?? If so why?? If not why??

Are your Happy with HotPress?? 19 votes

Yes I love Hotpress and feel it represents the whole musical community
    0% 0 votes
    Hotpress are only out to make money and people like Louis Walsh happy.
    21% 4 votes
    Hotpress should do more to help the unsigned and until then I wont purchase
    78% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

I don't buy it and wouldn't buy it, they are too commercial and there only in the interest of already known band...

I read a few issues at friends and stuff, but hell, I won't spent my money on them, they're not interesting/open enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

why bother buying magazines when you can get more info, better info and specific info online. As far as mags go though hotpress isn't too bad, like anything abotu unsigned artists etc just isn't going to seel enough to be commerically viable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

:cool: I agree- there is sod all space devoted to the new and upcoming bands. BTW- The Jive Principle rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

There is **** all coverage of music never mind about "unsigned acts". Last time I looked at it (24 Hour Party People cover issue) the live reviews section was a measly 2 pages! About a 3rd of one page was taken up with a photo of Ian Brown with a cadption that said something like "Ian brown played one of the most memorable gigs of the year at the Olympia on st Patricks Day" but their wasn't even a proper review of the gig.

Who a **** about what some gay guy did this week or what some boring bastard has to say in the Hotpress Interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Is everyone aware that Hotpress isn't solely a music publication? Politics, current affairs, films and humour all feature in addition to the music focused sections. I'm not hotpress's biggest fan(I used to buy it constantly, no idea why I didn't actually have a subscription!) and now buy it only occasionally but whats the alternative? Could someone please point me to another Irish focused magazine that deals with the aforementioned topics? So, no, it's not perfect, it's not even great. Some of you would probably only be happy when you had pages and pages devoted to every band who ever tried playing a gig, ignoring the fact that better sounds eminate from a cóckfight. Unsigned bands deserve a chance, and I think hotpress give a 'reasonable' amount of coverage to them. And by the way, many bands are unsigned for many reasons, one of the key ones being that they're shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I but hotpress now and then and think its a great publication. I like the fact that its not just about music. It has the right mix of politics, current affairs, music, film, humor etc. It has a very loyal readership. I think it sells about 22,000 copies every issue.

Hmm- wasn't it HotPress where the late Jonathan Philbin Bowman made his first journalistic impressions on us all? Sure most of us don't like the whole mag- but hey, its impossible to please everyone. 23,800 punters can't be all wrong..... (ABC)
    Anyhow- out of curiousity - just what is a Level 5 Vegan? :cool:

"23,800 punters" - most of those are in their 30s anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Your point being? Are old people not 'cool' enough for your liking?

We're not all in our thirties, even if we're heading there...
    :)
    Anyhow- the purchasers of Hotpress demographically tend to fit the 18-24 year old group. This is attributed to the massive sonsorship of the myriad "Fresher Week" and Open day events in the many different colleges. Also there are many of the different legs of the "Battles of the bands" held in the different third level institutions. Certainly I'm not trying to make a case for 13 year olds buying Hotpress- but to say the readership are all approaching middle age is a bit. You're aging us before our time.

• Advertisement

"Your point being? Are old people not 'cool' enough for your liking?" - well there's got to be a problem if the only mainstream magazine in the country with anything close to proper music coverage doesn't really appeal to most music fans in their late teens/early twenties.

I have no problem with old people, hell- I'm old myself.
    My point was- its not just us "older" people who buy Hotpress, there is also a core grouping in the 18-24 year old age group, who are continuously cultured by the astute marketing of the Hotpress team. I was responding to the previous posting stating its only the over 30's who are buying HP- and attempting to make a point that- no- its not.
    Anyhow point taken. None of us are getting younger...... (SMcCarrick going on 30 and feeling 50)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

na rock sound be more up my street , although hotpress once featured a bit on nirvana , but basically i just dont like the music reviewed in that magazine

My sentiments exactly.
    A decent bit of Rock.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

fairplay to ya smccarrick , a decent bit a rock , thats the stuff !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dysfunct

Originally posted by Monkey
    "23,800 punters" - most of those are in their 30s anyway
    How in the hell would you know this?
    Quit makin stuff up.
    Originally posted by smccarrick
    18-24 year old group
    There ya go.

Hotpress is a good read, bar that bootboy section, i usually just skip that section.
    Just not my kinda thing.
    But the magazine is good, i'm prolly gonna get a subscription as soon as i see a free CD that i like. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I'd get hotpress or nme depending on which has the better articles I hold no strong opinions about something there for just reading purposes, but hell listening to this arguement is funny :)

If you check the inside cover it states the last audited circulation figures. Thats where I'm getting the number sold from. BTW- copies sold and readership figures are of course two totally different figures. Buy a copy and check for yourself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

God SMC,if I didn't know any better I'd think that you actually worked for HP...
    Your really sold on it being a good publication... well so be it..
    I on the other hand am undecided...

Hmmmm- maybe they might offer me a job, or a few pence for fighting their corner? Somehow, I think not. Anyway journalism never was my forte. Anyone can poke fun at a situation and tear strips out of an argument, its more a case of who blinks first. How do I get myself a nice little image (snarling hound comes to mind)? Cheers V!

• Advertisement

[IMG][/img]ear_intestine.gif

This one comes to mind for you McCarrick:-D
    I've sent you mail on how to do it...

Thats not nice.....:(

:D Sorry honey!
    Sure I'm only kiddin!

Don't worry- I'm cool about it. :cool:

Advertisement