Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive instalation

• 03-06-2001 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I have recently purchased a new 40 GB Quantum harddrive and i am having major problems getting it set up, mainly because i havn't a clue what i am at. at the moment it is in place on the motherboard and is located in the device manager but it is not appearing as a new drive in my computer. i think that i am supposed to change some settings in the bios, but after looking around in there i havn't an idea what to do.
    please help to get this poor man gaming again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

If you can give some details on your system what type of motherboard etc, or even the make of PC eg. dell, compaq etc. We might be able to help smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

compaq presario 7360
    athalon 500mhz pro
    dunno about the motherboard

i think that bios is the problem though

Ok. Just to make sure, you've connected the hard drive up. Is there anything else connected on the cable going in to the hard drive like a CD/DVD drive or is it on its own. If you have another device on this cable you need to either set the CD/DVD to master or slave depending where it is on the cable, if its on the top set it to master or middle set to slave. the fact that you see the HD in device manager just means that windows has loaded the driver for the IDE channel that you hard disk will use.

Check all that and then get back...

the new drive has been set to slave and the drive is connect in series with the other hard drive. the original hard drive is at the end of the cable with the new one second. the cd is on a seperate cable

Excellent. Have you had a look in the bios settings by pressing the F10 button when the Compaq splash screen comes up when you first switch on? When you get into the Bios there should be an option in one of the menus for Primary IDE to auto detect slave (this is probably different as I'm going from memory) or there will be an option for user defined which can be set to auto...

• Advertisement

the options in the bios under the heading
    ide drives are

IDE drive translation
    enhansed IDE transfer
    ultra 33/66
    primary ide controler
    secondary ide controler

in each case the option in enable or disable

just checking something...

i had a presario lying out in a store room but the insides have been stripped. Are you sure there is no option to auto-detect the second hard drive. Are there further options under the Primary IDE. On boot-up if you press esc on the CPQ spalsh screen can you see what drives it detects?

can you give me your serial number, it will be the longest one on a sticker on top or ont the side of the pC case. You can email it to boyne@nettaxi.com. dont post it here smile.gif

when i press esc it just brings up text telling me to press f10 for bios

• Advertisement

ok just reading back through your first post. Is there 2 disc types in device manager something like Generic IDE

Can anyone else step in here, as I'm about to leave my workplace...Thnx

there are 2 different drives generic #1, and #2

the drive is set to slave, i changed it myself and double checked it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The_Bullman:
    I have recently purchased a new 40 GB Quantum
    it is in place on the motherboard and is located in the device manager but it is not appearing as a new drive in my computer.
    </font>

New hard drives are usually supplied unpartitioned. You will need to partition the drive using fdisk, and then format it.

Get yourself a Windows startup floppy (boot disk), pull the IDE ribbon cable from your existing hard drive, jumper the new Quantum as Master Standalone (it should be supplied in this state) and connect it to the IDE ribbon. Boot your machine from the floppy, type fdisk at the prompt, and follow the onscreen instructions. IIRC, pressing enter 4 times should give you a primary partition of the maximum size. When the drive has been partitioned, reboot and format c:

Now you can jumper the drive as Slave and reconnect your old hard drive to the IDE ribbon cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

why not set the second new drive to CS cable select and have it connected to the ribbon cable on the second port... smile.gif
    Set both of them to CS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BNC:
    If you have another device on this cable you need to either set the CD/DVD to master or slave depending where it is on the cable, if its on the top set it to master or middle set to slave.</font>

Who told you that? :-)

The position of an IDE device on the cable is irrelevant (unless you're using CS). The requirement is that when two IDE devices share a single cable, one must be Master and t'other Slave.

[This message has been edited by Snowbat (edited 03-06-2001).]

what is cs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭[fist]Snowball

cable select, but it is crap

Snowball.

Another sign in name ... he ... whats new.....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snowbat:
    Who told you that? :-)

The position of an IDE device on the cable is irrelevant (unless you're using CS). The requirement is that when two IDE devices share a single cable, one must be Master and t'other Slave.

[This message has been edited by Snowbat (edited 03-06-2001).]
    </font>

I told him that. In my experience compaq usually set their hard drives to CS which is not the best. I was advising the as to the way I would connect an IDE device.
    thanks for lending some advise though smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BNC (edited 03-06-2001).]

• Advertisement

is there any way that i can ovoid the boot disc route as it seems like a **** load of effort to take, taking the drive out and all that

the fact that you have generic 1 +2 shows that the disk is there. You should follow Snowbats advice though which is a bit of work but will ensure that you dont lose any data from your original disk by accidentally repartitioning it. (credits go to Snowbat)

Go on, dive in. Its good experience smile.gif

i don't care about the experience, it is just that the case is about 2 sizes too small for the components
    and i don't think that i have the windows think either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭[fist]Snowball

if ur in Dublin, MAPLIN ELECTRONICS r really good, they have a mamath case @ a good prise (can't remeber now) also I think the deliver.

Snowball.

Another sign in name ... he ... whats new.....

another problem!

i made a boot disk, disconnected the original hard drive, leaving the new one, and tried to run from the start. the computer loaded up from the start, detected the new hard drive and loaded up, leaving the dos command line a:/ or what ever it is. i then typed fdisk, and fdisk.exe to see if it would run. the following message appeared
    runtime error r6003
    -integer divide by 0
    i made another book disk and tried again to no avail. what do i do, help

I am still having trouble with the instalation, please help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

in windows just type fdisk u dont need a boot disk or anything. partition it, restart your computer and then use windows format to format the drive. its easy. smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by flamegrill:
    in windows just type fdisk u dont need a boot disk or anything. partition it, restart your computer and then use windows format to format the drive. its easy. smile.gif</font>

that will work o.k. but the idea with the bootdisk, for someone who isn't really familiar with setting up hd's, was that with the system drive removed there would be no danger of them accidentally partitioning a disk with data on it.

Bullman if you run fdisk from windows make sure to use option 5 and change the fixed disk to the one you are installing it should give the sizes and should be disc2 though double check it to be sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Bullman,

Don't bother with all the above, just go to Maxtor's (who own Quantum's disk division) website goto "product support" -> "software and utilities" and download Ontrack's Disk Manager 2000. This will run you through the whole installation process and do all the dirty work for you....

• Advertisement

the drive is now up and running thanks to a guy from it in work, thanks the dundalk man.

in running fdisk and format i have now only got 37.2 GB, where have the other 2.8 gigs gone to.

Advertisement