Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying noises at startup

• 04-06-2001 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Okay I just reinstalled windows today and now when I start up my computer makes annoying noises, I suspected the modem and when I went to control panel/modems, and clicked on more info for my modem, the noise stops. Which seems to confirm my suspicions, in case you don't know the more info thing sends them "AT" messages to the modem. So does anyone know how to stop the noises at start up or how to automatically run that diagnostic tool at the very least.

Ta

Baz_

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

let em guess...us robotics winmodem?

possibly out of a dell ?

get rid if it is...youll never find the correct driver...i had same problem and if u dont get original oem driver ur screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Your description of the noises are quite vague. What kind of noises are they? When do they first start occuring? As in; do they start when you turn on the machine, or when Windows is loading up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Well yank, spot on.

It's out of a gateway though.

The noises start when windows boots and it sounds kind of like the sounds are tracking your mouse movements, kind of funny but extremely annoying, although I guess it is high time I got a new modem, but I am using the drivers supplied to me in the first place if thats what you mean yank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Indeed... what resources are your Modem using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Go into your modem properties, connection tab and advanced - go to extra settings and type in atz, atx3 (one of these resets the modem , think its atz).

If this dosent work got to start->run and type in msconfig.
    Click selective startup, untick config.sys and autoexec.bat (if enabled) and also the startup items - if this resolves it you know where the problem lies.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Baz_:
    Well yank, spot on.

It's out of a gateway though.

The noises start when windows boots and it sounds kind of like the sounds are tracking your mouse movements, kind of funny but extremely annoying, although I guess it is high time I got a new modem, but I am using the drivers supplied to me in the first place if thats what you mean yank.
    </font>

i have a box full of those modems, once the original system supplied by dell is formatted I have never seen anyone get those modems to work again. I have seen these modems do all sorts of wierd things:like if you plug them into the phone line, even if they are disconnected from the PC (ie: u hold it in your hand) they will knock the line out, no send no recieve of calls.

send it to me and i will put it in my box of junk. ;( just for the craic, does the modem say DOC 48/97 sportster winmodem PC DFVP 1.020.0524-00 somewhere on the "white box" on the modem?

If you give me your email Ill send you the drivers a mate got for me...they seem to work on 95osr2 only i think, or is it 98SE? if you have the time and the CD's you can try to do a fresh install of either of those and it may work, but if it aint working in your current one i dont think it will work ever.

got your email and sent em, let me know. what version of windoze did u install? better try 98SE or 96osr2 only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Conflicting IRQ/interrupt information with com ports of your mouse+modem can cause that sort of noise you described. I had it happen on a really old machine yonks ago (which used a winmodem as well).

You would move the mouse in windows and you would hear interferance on the speakers that matched the mouse movement+clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

its windows 98 the absolute first edition. So I think 98se would be doing me, and thanks a lot for the help yank.

Although the modem actually works fine still, and the noises seem to have stopped too, I'll dl the drivers for a rainy day. As for whether it has that stuff on the modem I just refuse to open my pc today but someday I'll let you know, why whats the significance of that anyway???

Thanks again for the help

Baz_

it doesnt matter, just wondering if you had the exact same modem as my box full. someone brings in an old pc they want formatted and reinstalled the first thing i check for is that modem. i always warn them they may need a new one. i gave up a long time ago trying to find drivers for that specific modem, but others very similar to that will work with those drivers i sent ya.

98se or 95 osr2 should do the trick as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭RiCo

Check conflict with sound card. Its common enough if the irq is being used by two devices. Try taking out the sound card and booting.

[This message has been edited by RiCo (edited 09-06-2001).]

Advertisement