Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN Lowdown?!

• 04-06-2001 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Ok I Searched through a lot of the old posts as to ISDN but failed to find info i needed.

so anyway what I am wondering is:

How much is the installation? (for 64k)

Is the line rental much higher?

How does the service fair?

Thanx for anyhelp ye can provide smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sk_LURCH

i have recently purchased ISDN with BT (HighWay) and have found the service gr8, considering that u play TFC Raven i would gr8ly consider getting it for ureself, however it is a bit pricy, for normal installtion (with BT, dunno about eircom) it is £50 and it is £40 a month after that, as i said b4 the service is gr8 and anyone that has it will tell u that, however i am having probs with mine mad.gif but its my ISDN card mad.gif thats b0rked, anyway m8, ISDN is thething for u if u are a serious gamer, also the download speeds are go (7.1k single channel, 14 K dual)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

alright thx lurch m8. smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Eircom will have all the info you need on their webby.Afaik, its £100 installation, then £34.80 per month rental.You don't rent one channel, you get two,whether you use them or not is up to you.Course you still have your phone call costs, plus buying a TA etc.Don't forget using 2 channels = twice the call charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Alright, I just was on the site,

shame about the 34.80 rental a month apart from that it dont look too bad ...!

butthen agains as you said theres the modem for 50 quid and call charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

Installation:
    £99 to upgrade a standard line to "hi-speed".
    £199 to install a fresh ISDN line.

£99 charge to downgrade ISDN back to standard line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sk_LURCH:
    i have recently purchased ISDN with BT (HighWay) and have found the service gr8, considering that u play TFC Raven i would gr8ly consider getting it for ureself, however it is a bit pricy, for normal installtion (with BT, dunno about eircom) it is £50 and it is £40 a month after that, as i said b4 the service is gr8 and anyone that has it will tell u that, however i am having probs with mine mad.gif but its my ISDN card mad.gif thats b0rked, anyway m8, ISDN is thething for u if u are a serious gamer, also the download speeds are go (7.1k single channel, 14 K dual)</font>

if you are using bt's highway, i assume you are in england?
    why not go for cable or adsl?

Northern Ireland I assumed, but indeed could be England. Affordable broadband isn't as widely available as you might think though WWman, plus I know guys with 24/7 ISDN for STG£33 a month redface.gif. Though NTL did drop the price of their UK cable to like 30 quid a month or something, so if that was in your area then go for it...

Which makes me feel even more ill at the thought of paying by the minute for 56k... For the love of god someone, bring in some form of affordable flat rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bugler:
    Northern Ireland I assumed, but indeed could be England. Affordable broadband isn't as widely available as you might think though WWman, plus I know guys with 24/7 ISDN for STG£33 a month redface.gif. Though NTL did drop the price of their UK cable to like 30 quid a month or something, so if that was in your area then go for it...</font>

point taken, if you do happen to live in an area that has either cable or adsl. but cable is a pretty standard 20 quid a month and adsl is 45ish a month

One Of your Imps Does A Good Impersonation Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

In NIreland, Cable/DSL are only availible in the Belfast area, some other towns, but not many. Hence why most Northerners are on ISDN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

From what i've heard, I wouldn't go for the isdn TA that eircom are flogging cheap, it's not the best... been said before on the boards somewhere, but its not supposed to be that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    point taken, if you do happen to live in an area that has either cable or adsl. but cable is a pretty standard 20 quid a month and adsl is 45ish a month

</font>

em so if ADSL is £45 pounds a month then what the hell was this thing about ADSL costing round £13 set by the ODTR when it comes here???

Err dunno where that figure came out of but you won't see xdsl at that price I'm afraid.son of Blam has got some inside info on the ADSL pricing we can expect,including d/l limits etc.To be frank,it will be a shíte deal,if nothing changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -ADREN-:
    em so if ADSL is £45 pounds a month then what the hell was this thing about ADSL costing round £13 set by the ODTR when it comes here???
    </font>
    If an ISP wants to install ADSL equipment in an Eircom exchange, thats the price they will be charged per line per month. The ISP still has to install the equipment and connect it to the Internet etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ahhh so that still means the ISP can charge what ever it wants.. DAMN IT!!

anyways Bugler can we c some of Sons info mabey? could we Son?

Well you can pop into #fortress.ie and ask him yourself smile.gif.

It was...something like 50 quid + a month with a 1 gig d/l limit (pants), the cost of overgoing the limit not yet decided, or 100 quid a month for no limit.There were also bandwidth issues etc.thats how i remember it, but my recollection is hazy.

*I take no responsibility for inaccuracies in the above post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Well ive been using ISDN for the last year and a half (roughly)and though the service is good im now a broken man i have no more children to sell to pay for my habit.But there maybe hope for me yet ive got me mits on a mast so with luck i maybe on the chorus bandwagon £40 a month phone bills included i dont give a rats **** about the 3 gig limit im not a big downloader so a drop in bills from say £250 every 2 months to £80 would be a vast improvement.Ive been waiting for flatrate isdn ever since snl came out guess what i reckon ADSL will be here before you ever see it.Eircom scumbags are milking the isdn users to the hilt so if you can live with that and your not short of a bob or two then i would say get it.

Stone frown.gif
    ps now there are a good few isp`s that do isdn so at least these days you get a choice when your local eircom server falls over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

stone dont you pay something like £35 every month for line rental.
    with rental like that chorus would be great.

edit rental for isdn if its not clear edit

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 08-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Gladiator

Yup indeed your talking £70 quid per bill before you even pick up the phone add about £40 per bill vat and you start to wonder wtf is going on when charges make up half your bill.

Stone

Advertisement