Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever gotten rid of their DACS line?

Options
  • 03-05-2002 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Without resorting to getting ISDN installed then removed, have ye ever gotten that ikkle white box taken off the pole?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

iv never heard of anyone being sucessful in getting dac's removed with out getting isdn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭d-j-k

We got rid of a PairGain/Dacs/Carrier line a few years ago. Just phoned eircom (telecom eireann at the time) told them we had a problem with modems/fax on the line.

They sent an engineer up, he did some checks asked him nicely if they could get a new line up. He said they were low on local capacity but they were planning to upgrade the local plant (wires) soon and they'd get rid of the pairgain then. (We had 2 lines, one was carried on the original line)

heard nothing for a month, and put up with crap internet connections.

Then, unannounced they arrived, replaced all the cabling coming in to the house. We've now got 4 pairs coming in (loads of spare capacity) and totally flawless 56K.

they're prob. much meaner these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

How will the Dacs boxes affect ADSL?.The reason i ask is coz if eircom has been banging out Dacs boxes in a bid to cut costs and improve profit i could see them being very reluctant to to bring out ADSL if the have to get rid of them.

Stone

PS Thankfully im not being rightly royaly DACZed yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭d-j-k

It's unfair to slag them off about PairGain/DACS

if you're using a line for voice/fax pairgain/dacs has no impact on the signal quality, more modern versions will even carry 56K no problem

DSL and ISDN need access to copper from your end to the line card (at the exchange or elsewhere)

Pairgain's used by every phone company to suplement capacity and free up copper, it means that they can get lines in without huge amounts of cable laying in areas where capacity's low.

I'd say what will happen is if you're in an area where capacity is tight and you order DSL/ISDN your line will be swapped and someone else will get shoved on Pairgain/Dacs. They can juggle equipment around as neccessary with little or no effort, just switch ya at a junction cabinate to a different line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Just in relation to the impact of themon voice, I've noticed a distinct drop in teh quality of voice. It's much lower now and nye-on impossible to hear people if there's *any* noise in the room when you're making a call. It's deffinately not the phone either.

I rang up eircom before and got the engineer's number by threatening to go to chorus. Rang him and he gave me the same spiel about being low on capacity. That's all fair enough, but what really gripes me is that theycontinue to charge people the full price for what is effect half a line.

xDSL will not go over a DACS line (in the forms being release to consumers at teh moment anyways) because the frequency range required is eaten into by the DACS box.
    There's no way I can get the mother to get ISDN installed, even for two months, so unless I happen to marry the engineer's eldest daughter I'm fecked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just had a looksie at our phone pole and its got that lil white box on it, amazing thing is I always conenct at 44-48000bps :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Well, just because there is a splitter on the pole does not necessarily mean that your line is split.

One of your neighbours may just have ordered a second line. At any rate, the fact that you connect higher than 33600 definately means your line is NOT split.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

And if you're line isn't split...and you're failing for adsl now...well...there isn't much hope :( ...

You'll have a moderately hard job getting them to remove your DACS box, best thing, as the above have said, is to complain about modem and voice quality on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

Being stupid! Can anyone tell me what DACS means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Its a box that splits a single copper pair into several copper pairs, grand for voice, crap for data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by 212.2.179.66
    Being stupid! Can anyone tell me what DACS means?

It stands for Digital Access Carrier System. Check out the FAQ at http://frank.gwc.org.uk/~ali/dacs/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

got me eircom bill today and with it came a flyer.
    It said to get a normal phone line installed where there was already on cost €30 or something.

So it would cost me €30 to downgrade from isdn or am i missing a hidden cost somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'm just curious... If you have a small brown box with wires coming out of the top, would that be a DACS box too?

On a side note... If a person lives practically up the road from the exchange, and they had DACS, would they be able to take advantage of DSL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I wouldnt say it unfair in this day and age for people to asume that if they have a phone line they could connect to the net at a decent speed.On one hand you have Eircom saying to people use your mouse to find a better life (for eircom maybe) and on the other if you phone and complain that your connection speed is so slow that it makes surfing nearly impossible they reply sorry mate you signed up for voice calls not net access tough do do,s go away.Personaly i think they should be done for false advertising simply because if you have ever tried to do anything online at 26000kbps youll find far from making your life better its likely to shorten it considerably due to stress.

Stone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I've been as low as 14400 kbps at one time (my modem has a helper that monitors the netspeed) as it goes further in the day, my connection gets really erratic :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

ok, if esat are offering dsl using llu, surely Eircon have to provide a non-DACS line to a home if esat request it??

Adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

ok, if esat are offering dsl using llu, surely Eircon have to provide a non-DACS line to a home if esat request it??

Ooooh, good question.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Bostn, there is a bit of an adverse effect on the quality of voice, imho. It deffinately seems quieter, and is now much hard to hear people.
    Also, don't go by what windows tells you in the system tray. That speed may not be the linespeed, rather the port speed between modem and computer.
    Open up sysmon (in win9x) or performance thingy in 2k and turn on the graphs reffering to the dial-up or PPP connections. leave it for a while downloading a file and see what speed in KiloBytes/sec you get. Multiply this by 8 and that's the bps you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Bios
    AFAIK Eircom's current policy, which has been in place for about two years, is not to use DACS for new lines unless they're severely pressed for cables.

Advertisement