Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seems someone REALLY likes us...

• 03-05-2002 5:50pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

just got word of this on the grapevine...

http://scripts.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/regularvote.cfm?pollid=770

someone submitted a javascript redirect (or similar) on it to boards.ie meaning anyone who went to the last page of the discussion , automatically got shunted over to us!

Ow... I wonder what our impressions were for that period!

Anyway, whoever did it, thats bold bold bold, and very unprofessional (nice one! ;) )

Its gone now... pity! :)

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

oh yes very bold! tut tut

/gives DeV the nod ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

And someone doesn't like us (BTW it's not OUR Gadget):
    It IS possible to run a big site without having to charge for it. Its called "making ends meet". Software is fast, efficient and doesnt have a Union. This site needs less then 10 people imho, if the processes and software were good. Anyway, all you Irish (and ex-pats) are welcome to visit the 1.5 million page impressions a month, free website http://www.boards.ie where you can discuss things at your leisure! It employs noone and costs about 3K a year to run :)
    Tom Murphy, Ireland

Well the people in ireland.com must feel really stupid not having taken into account all the "fabulous" opinions here on advertising, flawed business models, html conversion programs, etc, etc...did anyone think that maybe they have thought of all this??? As for the person who says it "seems like a get rich quick" - its been free for many many years, where is the get rich quick in that!!! As for the man on boards.ie, well that site falls over half the time...its content is also completely driven by its users and not the other way around!
    It's 70 euro, ye don't have to pay it!!
    Gadget, Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As for the man on boards.ie, well that site falls over half the time...its content is also completely driven by its users and not the other way around!

We're still more up-to-date than ireland.com half the time...and we're interactive :D

'Fall over half the time' pfft. IT'S FREE!!!! ffs......

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

dunno which site he's referring to, boards had 101 days uptime until we had to reboot it last week...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by Cloud
    And someone doesn't like us (BTW it's not OUR Gadget):

[...stuff...]

I should like to reinforce that point (thanks for pointing that out, John). It certainly isn't me...

Gadget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As for the man on boards.ie, well that site falls over half the time...its content is also completely driven by its users and not the other way around!

I'm sorry, based on an average days usage for me, I've seen 5-10 times as many non-working links, time-outs and the like on Ireland.com than here (with only a fraction of my time on Ireland.com)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

its content is also completely driven by its users and not the other way around!

Yeah, and?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by amp

Yeah, and?

exactly what i was thinking, what sort of a muppet presents that as a negative point???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

its content is also completely driven by its users and not the other way around!

Damn users with their bloody talkin' an' all that with their damn keyboards! Bloody feedback! Damn interactivity!!!! Stoopid sense of comunity!!!!:rolleyes:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yeah I was thinking that too.... I mean god forbid you should actually allow your users *feedback*...

btw if anyone EVER complains I'm being a fascist again I'm going to point them over there, all comments are checked for liability and profanity before being allowed on their site. I guess it IS the Times but damn thats some control they are excercising.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

How unlucky for us, we do not have the opinions of just one person, and we have 100’s of people posting news, information and ideas that would take days to weeks to be seen on ireland.com if they posted it at all. The likes of IrelandOFFLine, Digital Satellite and Games are much faster that ireland.com
    How unlucky of us to have a user driven board.

Coyote

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Originally posted by DeVore
    it IS the Times but damn thats some control they are excercising.

DeV.

...That would make way for a slow, boring and predictable site in my honest opinion (Haven't / Won't even bother checking it).

Boards is a wide open place where you can express your feelings and/or opinions openly without posts being "Monitored" first (**** that crap) which makes this a fast, furious, immensely interesting place to meet people and [Insert Huge List of Cool Things Here]...

Of course, you all knew this already (Otherwise you wouldn't be here) but this is for those stiff-upper lipped bastards on that site.

"Screw you and your slow-moving, boring, dull and uninteresting crap, that is not the way of the future... Boards.ie is the way to go... Boards, Boards, Boards, Boards, Boa..."

Advertisement