Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win98 is a pain in the Tits.

• 04-11-1998 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm planning on nuking it and installing Red Hat and NT Workstation SP4. So which one should I install first? Will they work together? Will I have to partition the disk and can Redhat read NTFS?

Hobbes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I don't know a great deal about linux :), but here's my two cents.

- Its best to install linux last, as other OSs tend to totally wipe the master boot record, whereas linux only adds to it. I think Win NT certainly overwrites it.

- NT and Linux can work together. In fact, I've seen Win 95, Win NT and linux all running on the same system.

- You will have to have at least 2 partitions. Apparently, you can even have 2 primary partitions. Good old MS.

- I have no idea if redhat can read NTFS. I'm sure some clever chap somewhere has written something for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

"Apparently, you can even have 2 primary partitions. Good old MS."

Micro$oft has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you can have 4 primary bootable partitions on most systems, i think this is a BIOS limitation..(not sure)

if you intend to use linux and windows on the same computer, you should put LILO in the master boot record, and any other stuff will still work(provided you have set up LILO properly), as the NT loader crap goes into the first sector of the partition, not in the MBR.
    what the microsoft installed MBR does is almost the same as what LILO does at the basic level, just that it does not give you any choices at all.(stupid microsoft piece of ****e :p)

PS:
    All Microsoft OS's (NT, 95, 98) wipe and install their own MBR upon installation(without telling you), so you will need to install linux (and LILO) after installing nt/95..
    also note that if you install LILO, and then wipe the Linux partition without de-installing LILO(in linux, type "man lilo" or something), you will not be able to boot up off the HD, cos LILO needs certain files stored in the root linux partition to get a map of your HD.
    Linux does have read-only support for NTFS (somewhere...)

PPS:
    microsoft mice rock :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Ever taken linux OFF a machine and couldn't get rid of the LILO in the MBR (Nah, didn't think so!)?

FDISK /MBR in DOS does the job!

John.
    --

• Advertisement

heheh
    we had enough of that "LI" prompt :)
    couldnt figure out why it stopped after typing "LI" for ages, quite a few machines in hamlab used to be like that :)
    Fdisk /mbr copies the DOS default MBR over your current MBR, if you had NT, or win95 not on the first primary partition, this can cause problems..
    safest is to uninstall LILO (type lilo /u in linux prolly works), THEN delete the linux partition, as when LILO is uninstalled, it copies back the MBR you had before you installed lilo(which could have NT stuff or maybe you had win95 set up to boot off 2nd primary partition or something) :)

(these midday labs are boring as hell, they leave us on the 'net but dont allow us to play games :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

Naw Hobbes,

this is a pain in the tits...

ewj.
    As you are aware this is Breast Awareness Month and if you haven't already gone, set the appointment right NOW!!!! But you must be prepared for your mammogram. Many women are afraid of their first mammogram, but there is no need to worry.

By taking a few minutes each day for a week proceeding the exam and doing the following practice exercises:

EXERCISE #1
    Open you fridge door and insert one breast between the door and the main box. Have one of your strongest friends slam the door shut as hard as possible and lean on the door for good measure.

Hold that position for five seconds.

Repeat again in case the first time wasn't effective enough.

EXERCISE #2
    Visit your garage at 3 a.m. when the temperature of the cement floor is just perfect. Take off all your clothes and lie comfortably on the floor with one breast wedged under the rear tire of the car. Ask a friend to slowly back the car up until your breast is sufficiently flattened and chilled. Turn over and repeat for the other breast.

EXERCISE #3
    Freeze two metal bookends overnight. Strip to the waist. Invite a stranger into the room.
    Press the bookends against one of your breast. Smash the bookends together as hard as you can.
    Set an appointment with the stranger to meet next year and do it again.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Now you are properly prepared for your mammogram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 b5

up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

xosl allows 64! primary partitions and a host of boot options...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

talk about timing, someone just asked me this friday...

so if he already has 98/nt dual booting, he buys another hard drive and wants to install linux....what can he do? is it as simple as just installing linux on the second hard drive and hell get tri-booting? or does he need more software etc to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yankinlk:
    talk about timing, someone just asked me this friday...

so if he already has 98/nt dual booting, he buys another hard drive and wants to install linux....what can he do? is it as simple as just installing linux on the second hard drive and hell get tri-booting? or does he need more software etc to do this?
    </font>

Just go ahead and install Linux on the second hard-disk. Make sure to create a boot disk. Do not install LILO on the (first) hard disk. To use Linux, simply boot off the floppy disk - no risk to nt/98. Not the most ideal situation, but it works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Lads... do ye realise that you're replying to a 2-year old topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Hehe I know its an old one, but if you install Linux and put the LILO in the first part of the partition, you should have nps, this is what I have on a tri (was quad) boot setup.I put on SysCommander as well in the end for a handy boot up package.

Advertisement