Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

video conferencing over the POTS

• 08-06-2001 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know of software that will allow video conferencing over a standard, non-ISDN telephone line between two pc's? I am aware of Netmeeting and all the others that allow conferencing over the 'net, but I am sick of the crap quality of sound and video.

Presumably two PC's connected together over the phone lines would offer better quality audio/video than over the 'net. Anybody have any information?

Thanks,

Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I'm a tad confused... are you referring to directly dialling into another machine and conferencing that way?

That will make pretty much zero difference to the quality. 56K just does not do video conferencing; and that's that smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Zee Dude

Netmeeting quality is as good as it gets with POTS, you will DSL minimum to get better quality, and at least an 8mb line for real-time video.

Sorry I can't be of any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Bah, you might get a tiny improvement... (perhaps dialing direct would avoid net congestion or laggy hops? but it'd still be 56k-choppy)
    You'd have to set up one machine with a dial-up server, then get Netmeeting (or whatever proggie) to connect to the host IP.
    A full tutorial !!here!! if you're interested.

BTW, If you're looking for other proggies, I've heard good things about "Firetalk".
    L33t compression techniques or some such.

Advertisement