Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

52000 kps

Options
  • 03-05-2002 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I just moved into my new apt in temple bar this evening and logged on at this speed if only always with a pstn conx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by the Guru
    I just moved into my new apt in temple bar this evening and logged on at this speed if only always with a pstn conx
    There's an exchange right in temple bar. You're probably close enough you could do 10BaseT ethernet over those wires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

How Could I set-up 10BaseT ethernet from the Apt

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

... probably by buying Eircom:)

You're close enough that it /could/ be done (as in, you're within the limit for an ethernet connection)

I'm close enough to the main exchange in Limerick to do the same.

More a "you lucky jammy type, here's why your connection is so good" figure of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get a bit of Cat5e, a crimper and a mate called 'Anto'. You're in business ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

How Could I set-up 10BaseT ethernet from the Apt
    First you write up a business plan. Then you get some venture capitalists on board. Next you bribe the ODTR with something like €12500 for the privilige of being a licensed telecoms operator. With your license in hand you start negotiations with Eircom - expect this to take six months or more. When the negotiations are concluded you hand over several thousand euro to Eircom for a map of the exchange, a few hundred euro to get your line unbundled and another few hundred euro for a second line (ethernet needs four wires, one phone line is two wires), probably a thousand or so to install ethernet equipment in the exchange - but not before several thousand more to have Eircom certify the equipment for operation in the exchange. Then you're sorted. The running costs are about €33 a month for the two lines and an undefined but no doubt substantial figure for the rental of space in the exchange for your ethernet equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Since i got rid of isdn last year, i dialed up a few times recently(first time since then), i have always got 52KB/s on 56k dial-up, using my lucent winmodem :)
    I live about 1 mile from exchange(in dublin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

How do I add images to my post and replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Umm.. I connect at 52K aswell err does that mean im very near an exchange or somthing also?? Im in the castletroy are of limerick.. near UL. Secptre wheres the main exchange in limerick anywyas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I'm around 2 miles from my exchange and get 50,666k to Eircomnet, and 45.2k to Esat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Windows lies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

You'll probably still fail the DSL line test.....

Advertisement