Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote no VAT for Charities

Options
  • 03-05-2002 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Check this out!

Irish Charities pay 63 million Euro in VAT to the Governement every year. You can voice your support for the charities call on the Government to give it back by signing their petition or sending anemail to yourlocal candidates.

http://www.vatcampaign.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I (personally) support the policy of charities paying VAT on services they buy. Otherwise its just a €63m hole in the health / education / whatever budget. And it means those providing services to charities will simply up their prices to claw back money from the charities.

To prove the point, what about private / sporting clubs that are set up as charities? Do they deserve the same tax break as more 'genuine' needs?

[edit]Sorry, I did not mean that to sound like a rant, discuss all you like[edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gg_666

A lot of the charities provide services in areas where the Governement fail to, including Health, Education, whatever and have proven far more effective at dealing with it. There's already a massive hole in these budgets and its not in any way attributable to charities doing good work. More like, inefficient spending of Budgets.

Service providers will still chage the same prices and include VAT. Charities will pay VAT but the Government will give it back to them in some form to be decided upon.

Not sure about Private sporting clubs setting up as charities. In my opionion everyone should have access to sporting facilities for free, especially children. It obviously costs money to provide these facilities and I know a lot of local sporting clubs are run by volunteers and funds are raised through similar methods that charities use. So inthat context, yeah give them their VAT back and let them use it to develop their facilities.

Advertisement