Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What scares YOU?

• 03-05-2002 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

I have been really scared twice in my life, once when my dad and i were being attacked and the other was while watching Salems lot, i was i think 16 at the time and it gave me my first asthma attack!

since then i have been watching horrors to see if they ahve the same affect and no, they just arent scary...

is this just me or have any of you seen a reall really scary movie???

and to put two threads in one...... What makes us afraid? how can something we see on a box have such an affect....

im terrified of spiders in real life and yet i could watch arachnaphobia, i thought it was quite tame, and last night i watched someother horror supposedly, about killer cockroaches, funny there was a delapodated barn in that movie too!!! as there was in Anaconda!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Amp in a bikini! Very frightening!

Heights! I really dont like heights. Although recently i have been less scared of. Mind over matter thats what i say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

Originally posted by Mr.Applepie
    Amp in a bikini! Very frightening!

Heights! I really dont like heights. Although recently i have been less scared of. Mind over matter thats what i say!

fear is one thing but being really scared i another, like an analergie here would be.....

remember when you were in baby infants in school, and by the time you go to your leaving you would go down to the baby infant classes for memory sake and the classrooms now seem so small to you, but when you were in them as a child they were huge...

you can get a fright from someone tapping you on the shoulder but what make s a good horror movie what is that ingriedient???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by fi
    but what make s a good horror movie what is that ingriedient???

I've always been of the belief that these films that just make u jump out of your seat are crap.. Give me a horror film thats so well written that it'll mess with your brain and completely mess you up for months afterwards :D Too many films around that just focus on making the audience jump (a la Scream).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

/me resists urge to photoshop own head on bikini model (though now that I've said it, it'll probably happen.... such is life)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I used to be afraid of dancing, but now I can... Once I have a couple of pints in me :p

Other tan that... I'm really afraid of heights. I was doing a zip-wire from a 60 metre tower, looked down and had a panic attack... I left a hand mark on the instructors arm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Snaggle

Things that make me afraid are the consequences of doing certain things, and what I might do if those consequences weren't there.

For example when my brother was very young and I was babysitting him, the idea occurred to me to cut his head off with a large kitchen knife.

Now I'm quite fond of my brother, this wasn't an anger or a frustration thing, more curiosity. I was curious about whether I can do it with one swish of the blade, how long I had on the timer before the gardai beat the door down, what my parents, friends and relatives would have say, what kind of remorse I would feel. It made me a little afraid that I could do something like this for no real reason.

What makes a good frightening film is one that is both plausible and eery. Jumpy fright films aren't the ones leaving you thinking after you've seen the film, or afraid that the same thing might happen to you. Look at the Blair Witch Project, that scared a lot of people although the camera work was crap, the editting was crap, the dialogue, the acting, all crap. What it had going for it was an eery story and a plausible presentation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Flying.

My mother was an Air Hostess (retirred) and i used to jet set about the place with no problem till i was 17 or so. Then after one or two minor incidents on planes i became mortally afraid of flying. It puts me off going on holidays because i know ill have to fly:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I'm really scared of bees, hate the feckers. If I'm in the same room as a bee or wasp I always think they're crawling all over me. Would be my Room 101

Apparently I got attacked by a swarm of wasps when I was a young lad, I've absolutely no recollection of it but it would explain quite a lot.

As for movies, I think the closer they are to home the scarier. Final Destination for instance they were all killed by household items basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

The fact im scared of nothing quite frightens me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by Da Bounca
    The fact im scared of nothing quite frightens me.

You'll probably find out its kittens or something :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I'm really scared of hair-dressers and getting my hair cut in general. I have no idea why! So I only get my hair cut about four times a year when I start to look really scruffy.

I don't think I really have any other real phobias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Enygma
    As for movies, I think the closer they are to home the scarier. Final Destination for instance they were all killed by household items basically.
    Was that the one where there was a plane explosion at the start, and the guy had a premenition it was going to happen?
    Very scarey movie IMO, still makes me cringe when I hear 'Rocky mountain high' :D

Hmm, what scares me?
    Too many things tbh :(
    I love flying, no problems there... normal things I guess... serious illness, accidents, those little wooden people that live at the end of my garden that I once dreamt about... etc.

Blaire witch was the worst movie i had the misfortune to watch, even more embarracing i bought it on dvd as i thought it was going to be good :(

Seven was an emotioonal film that leaves you thinking for ever after as was silence of the lambs, but not scary they were a different thing all together.

maybe that is the key to a scare it is a personal thing where it is something with us personally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

WASPS...i hate those bstards. When i was 6 I was sitting in a field watching the hay being baled, minding my own business, when a wasp came along and stung me !!

If i was at the nest r something id understan, i had NO food with me, or drink, and that mudderfupper still stung me.

335-1.JPG

heres looking at you, kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

Dentists drills. Nothing else about them bothers me. Goes back to when some dentist tried to give me a filling and forgot to give me some anaesthetic. Never thought I could jump that high.

What I think is the key to a good horror film is making the audience scare themselves. Like the Blair Witch. Loads of people were scared of that because they thought it was real. And thats the image the makers tried to keep up. Thats why the camera work/editing/dialogue. But I didn't think the acting was bad. It couldn't have been really bad because for the most part that was what the actors were really feeling. They were really scared,they were really píssed off. You can't get much better acting than real life.
    If the audience knew it was just a few actors I guarantee they wouldn't have been as scared.

The makers of a new film are also employing this tactic. Its about these people being terrorised by some reptiles. (Can't think if the name of them now. Something dragons)
    And what is going to scare people more than the actual movie is the knowledge that these animals actuallt exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well. You kinda scare me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I get a kind of post-scary scare :)

Like this horrible image I have from being a kid of looking over a cliff edge. The ground curved downwards at the edge, and at the time it wasn't scary, but even now, I can think 'OMG! what if I had fallen?!'. Same goes for the old mountain biking days, hurtling down a curvy-ass 45 degree road at 40-odd mph on a pushbike. wasn't scary at the time, but when I think now, how I could have fallen! :( Wouldn't stop me doing it again tho.

I wouldn't be too keen on dying. Prolly the only thing I'm really afraid of. Anything else is just unpleasant.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Yeah, wasps are a ****in waste of space. At least bees make honey (I likes honey), but wasps do absolutely bugger all of any use.

Big manky hairy spiders. Not nice. I don't care about little house spiders, apart from the fact that I'll eject them from the premises, but one thing that's always in my mind going to foreign (especially hot) countries is dirty great tarantulas in the shower or something. Apparently every house in Australia has a funnel-web (or maybe a black widow) nesting in the cellar before the building has even been finished - that's Oz and NZ off my travel list so....

Also, I have a (rational) fear of extreme heights, but I get a buzz off it. Nothing to get the blood flowing like looking over the edge of a 60-storey building. Still haven't got round to jumping out of a plane with a bit of tent strapped to my back though.

well wasps are NOT a waste of space.

Although most people think of wasps as pests, they benefit mankind and the environment in many ways. They help control arthropod pests (flies, caterpillars, bugs, spiders, etc.) by preying on them. This really does help to cut down on the use of harmful pesticides. This is healthier for our environment in the long run. Wasps are also used in research and experiments. In some places in the world, people use the immature stages (larvae and pupae) of wasps as food for a good source of protein. Therefore, the benefits to humans far outweigh the harm which they do.

taken from some site i found

I respect the wasps, i think they are amazing really, but im still scared to death of em....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Originally posted by rymus

I've always been of the belief that these films that just make u jump out of your seat are crap.. Give me a horror film thats so well written that it'll mess with your brain and completely mess you up for months afterwards :D Too many films around that just focus on making the audience jump (a la Scream).

The only movie that messed my mind up was the original Psycho, I couldn't even get to sleep.

Also, today a wasp flew in which was at least twice as big as the other wasps, so I got a hoover and sucked it up! Kapow! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

The only time a movie scared me was when I was watching Lost Highway all alone in a dark room. It was the first David Lynch film I'd ever seen so I had no idea what to expect. You have no idea whats going on at any time and it's just freaky. Has turned me into a big David Lynch fan though!

In reality I'm petrified of heights I had a bad experience when I was younger on one of the tallest dams in the world since then I've been a big height fraidy cat.

What's the term for fear of heights? I sure there most be one. Damn annoying phobia thats for damn sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Worst fear: Not being in control of my body. For that reason i'll never do drugs and don't drink to excess. I just couldn't handle being helpless, relying on others for everthing.

A childhood fear of mine was being attacked in my sleep, if anyone so much as touched me in my sleep i'd have a panic attack! / thus "The Others" scared the shíte outta me, not a really scarey movie but when the young one says "touch him" ... oh hell no i couldn't be reminded of that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

SPIDERS, i dont know what it is but i wont sleep if i see a spider in the house, i HATE them, they scare the livin piss out of me. I think it stems back to watching Arachaphobia when i was a kid. i went to bed after it and found a Spider in my Bed, I still check my bed every night.
    I would go through a wall to get away from a spider, If my own mother ran after me with one id knock her out just through reaction i wouldnt want to do it but she'd go down REAL quick.
    I belted my sister once cause of it, suffice to say shes never even said the word spider to me since.
    I just freak out, i feel them in my hair and on my skin and i LOSE it, screamin and running around.
    Other than that imnot fond of big heights not because of the falling but im afraid ill break my leg, i have a big fear of breaking my legsm weird i know but i saw a vid clip of a wrestler kick himself in the chin once, his shin snapped and bent forward as he jumped of the top rope, that image haunts me.

bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

I have two main fears, the first is heights(i love flying oddly enough)...

The second is completely loosing my temper, only a couple of people have seen me do this and it would probably better for one or two of them that they didnt. I suppose the best dscription of it would be a blood rage, and its one thing that I try to keep under control, and have managed to do so for the last 5/6 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Needles it not that I go AAAH a needle, just don't like being stabbed by needles. Used to be scaried of spiders before I got boots :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I dont know how i forgot needles! i hate these even MORE than spiders, and thats saying something. I would rather stay sick than get an injection

bomb

Rats!!!
    Agggh, when I was a kid, I climbed up onto a loft , there were loads of them,they ran down the ladder and one was eye ball to eyeball with me.
    mm

one was eye ball to eyeball with me.

man, thats ones big rat !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kitton

i hate spiders and eels and i'm terrified of weasels and mink and things cos i read a saki story when i was little about a weasel that kills a little boy,it was horrible.i also have stagefright and don't like being able to move,odd.
    jeepers creepers was the most stupid scary film,it was terrifying for the first half hour,when u think its some freak killing loads of people but it ends up being a freakin demon!so crap,when are film makers gonna cop on that real life crazy psycho killers are scarier than demons etc?idiots.the excorcist terrified me tho,i think its just cos its all religous and religions kind of everywhere since when ur a kid.i dunno...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Originally posted by azezil
    Worst fear: Not being in control of my body. For that reason i'll never do drugs and don't drink to excess.

you werent afraid of that naked guy with the traffic cone on your 20th! and you were locked.....SearrarD is now struck in the back with a rather large meat cleaver....

Nothing scares me, but fear can creep up on me from time to time

There is nothing like the fear of catching you hand or head in something and you cant get it out...a fear that results in blind outragous panic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by kitton
    the excorcist terrified me tho,i think its just cos its all religous and religions kind of everywhere since when ur a kid.i dunno...

I was really disappointed in the Exorcist. Before I saw it I kept hearing stories of how people were traumatised by it and how people had to leave the cinema in the middle of it. So naturally I was looking forward to seeing it. I wasn't scared at all! As far as films go it was really a big let down for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

spiders i hate them , i watched arachnaphobia twice and on both occasions i found a black spider in my room . i never watched it since and one day my sisters boyfriend had a spider on a dustpan and came at me with it , i nearly cried , i have been terified of them forever and now at the age of 18 i still check the walls in my room to make sure there Are no spiders in the room . i know im very sad but hey everyone to their own an all that.

Originally posted by Winters
    Well. You kinda scare me.

who me??? :eek:

how does little old me scare you :)

Originally posted by DapperGent

What's the term for fear of heights? I sure there most be one. Damn annoying phobia thats for damn sure.

its just called Virtigo isnt it??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by SearrarD
    you werent afraid of that naked guy with the traffic cone on your 20th! and you were locked.....SearrarD is now struck in the back with a rather large meat cleaver....
    Oi anymore references to me in real-life(tm) shall result in a smak in da nutz! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oi anymore references to me in real-life(tm) shall result in a smak in da nutz! :D
    On-line or in RL? ;)

Borgification scares the life out of me. I was in hospital for tests recently and to to have a canula (a hypodermic needle with a valve attached that is left in temporarily) put in my hand. I was trying to make a break for it as the doctor was putting it in.

Then they wanted to stick a fibre-optic camera down my throat to look at my stomach, it took about 4 of them to hold me down, but in the end they had to give up.

I have a fear about hurting people (because I think about it a lot and ddecide how to do it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Monty - the one and only
    I have two main fears, the first is heights(i love flying oddly enough)...

I love the rush I get from heights, while i'm still relatively scared of them... :)

used to be scared of spiders.. still somewhat but not much.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Death by fire, Drowning the usuals! :)

Though I have got a serious phobia and its Burglars. When i was a kid i used to have the same nightmares every night. These moster types I called frights would basically come into my house from the back garden through the back door(No stupid pun jokes please) and id be running to my mothers bedroom at the front screaming to her but of course nothing would come out of my mouth and then id always tense up and i wouldnt be able to move and the frights would just catch me every time and it used to scare the **** out of me every single night as a child for the first 5 years of my life and ever since then I've had a fear of burglars. Its called Scelerophobia. Funny thing is though when the dreams went away for the next 5 years every night i used to have what are called Lucid Dreams which for those of you who don't know is when you know you are dreaming and you can control the dream however you want to. It was ****in amazing! :) Ill never forget the **** i used to do. It was like really having super powers :) Anyways thats my input.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Worst fear: Not being in control of my body. For that reason i'll never do drugs and don't drink to excess. I just couldn't handle being helpless, relying on others for everthing.

So you were in full control of your bodying while intimidating leo decaprio/kate winslet in the middle of a nightclub??? Interesting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

Originally posted by Monty - the one and only
    The second is completely loosing my temper, only a couple of people have seen me do this and it would probably better for one or two of them that they didnt. I suppose the best dscription of it would be a blood rage, and its one thing that I try to keep under control, and have managed to do so for the last 5/6 years...

I have a bit of a fear of that too. Went absolutely mad only twice. Bet the shít out of two people. I have no idea what, if anything triggered it. I kind of blacked out but continued hitting them. Really weird. Not proud of that at all. It was a few years ago now though.

Don't get me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

THIS

Sorry if posted before but i think its understandable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

intimidating leo decaprio/kate winslet in the middle of a nightclub
    Perhaps you mean imitating? Intimidating usually being done with iron bars and baseball bats. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I ph43r either Shinji or Monty in that list Gideon linked.(although Niallz is quite cute :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

eels, snakes, big spiders

So you were in full control of your bodying while intimidating leo decaprio/kate winslet in the middle of a nightclub??? Interesting....
    you can be my kate any day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Old women there seriously evil looking, I guess when they reach a certain age women just dont get any anymore and they turn to the dark side and become evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The Teletubbies.. shudder....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Yeah had a dream once with them against the power rangers, a bit strange I know, but they ripped the rangers to shreds and then did some cerimonial sacrifice thing with the pink one , I thought it was pretty cool but do I need help ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

OK you have ISSUES there m8!

• Advertisement
Advertisement